Where does Thunderbird store emails?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Criptonite

Where does Thunderbird store emails?

Post by Criptonite »

My old PC went kaput and I've transferred my old hard drive to a new PC (running Vista). I'm trying to locate my old emails but can't find them. Where are they stored, dopes anyone know?

Dave
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

fedjagr

Post by fedjagr »

The easiest way is to delete your entire current Thunderbird folder in application-data and then paste the old thunderbird folder from your old compu to your new. C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Thunderbird
This way you will have back your addressbook and other settings too. Please backup the current folder before you delete it. You never know...

otherwise this is the mailfolder: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\Mail\Local Folders > just copy paste it in your new folder on your new compu.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

That will only work if the path is exactly the same on both computers. If you have used a different OS user name, it will not work.
fedjagr

Post by fedjagr »

OK, didn't know that! I guess for backing up it works though.
Fedja
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Yes. I used that method successfully for a long time, even across machines, but I do tend to use the same Windows user name. ;-)
Criptonite

Where does thunderbird store emails

Post by Criptonite »

Hmmm, only problem, I can't find where the profile is stored on Vista to back up. Any Vista users reading this?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\*random string.profile name*, but it's easiest to get to from Start>User Name on the right. You do have to have Windows set to View Hidden files and folders. This link tells you how, but they haven't added Vista yet. The method is the same as in XP, so use those instructions. http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272
Criptonite

Where does thunderbird store emails?

Post by Criptonite »

I think I may have a bigger problem thatn I realised! I found this fill in application data - 9vnv2gcw.default - It seems to be empty as it's only 100bytes in size. the directory tree ended at that point, there wasn't a mail/local folders section.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help so far
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Was your old computer Vista as well? The profile you need to find first is the one on the old hard drive.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Daifne wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\*random string.profile name*, but it's easiest to get to from Start>User Name on the right. You do have to have Windows set to View Hidden files and folders. This link tells you how, but they haven't added Vista yet. The method is the same as in XP, so use those instructions. http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272

I use a very simple method to zero in on my profile. I search for prefs.js. I then check the pathname to be sure that it is for Thunderbird rather than Firefox, and explore that directory. Works like a charm and does not require repeated clicking through subdirectories. This method works for both Mac and Windows.