AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SK.

Post by SK. »

You should use port 465, as recommended by AT&T/SBC.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

With what ATT just changed, it looks like multiple SMTP servers are now required.
Munacil

AT&T driving me crazy

Post by Munacil »

Daifne wrote:Contact them. There is absolutely nothing that Thunderbird can do about what ATT does.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Isabel
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.
slobjones

Post by slobjones »

Changed my ATT-Yahoo SMTP settings, and I'm still unable to send mail.
Johnkn

Outgoing mail by att.net

Post by Johnkn »

Raw333 wrote:I'm a little stuck here... Looking at the solution above as Gueststar has tried, I don't quite get it...
I'm an ATT/SBC user dealing with the same password recognition problems.

All settings are accurate according to this thread. However, I have not configured outgoing server for each identity (5 total). Do I add additionsal smtp servers for each identity?

Default SMTP Server is
Username: memberid@sbcglobal.net
Servername: smtp.att.yahoo.com
SSL: is checked

A few days back (March 2008), I started having problems of sending out mail using Thunderbird. No help from att had been good at all. So,I come to this site. But there was no good enough answer.

I've found the solution to my problem

I use att.net to send out mail.

Setting of outgoing mail is correct as explained here is this site for sbcglobal.net.
HOWEVER,
1. to receive mail, if you are using att.net, incoming mail POP setting must be old one ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net, not new pop.att.yahoo.com! (This was not explained at att.net webmail site.)

Then, when Write mail and send it out,
2. You have to use your subscribing mail address for FROM address. (In my case username@sbcglobal.net)
3. As I use att.net for my receiving mail, I have to select "Reply to" and next to it, I select username@att.net, as I do not use sbcglobal.net address for may communication with friends.

I hope this helps people in the same situation.

John KN \:D/
debj

can't send mail, but can recieve

Post by debj »

johnkn,
can you explain further? i'm not sure i understand exactly what you did.

i've always used tbird and this not being able to send email started on march 11. i made no changes to anything.

i've an old swbell id and all my settings are correct as is everyone else. i can send on my netscape address thru tbird, but not the bell one.

this is quite aggravating. i don't want to use the att/yahoo mai portal. it stinks.
Formerly frustrated guest

Post by Formerly frustrated guest »

I was having the every one of the listed issues - PW not recognized, not able to send mail (even though it was receiving just fine), et al. - plus I have mutliple users on two different ISPs.

Here are all the steps that finally worked (short version, the details are in this thread and on mZine's TB mail help):

1. Changed to SSL on SMTP;

2. No secure authentication;

3. User name is full e-mail address - BE SURE TO CHECK THAT THIS IS CORRECT in both places where user name is required - "server settings" AND in outgoing server SMTP settings for every e-mail address - VERY IMPORTANT and easy to overlook; and further to that

4. Set up a separate SMTP server for each e-mail address - scroll all the way down the left pane to "outgoing server (SMTP)" - click "add" - user name is full e-mail address, including @[whatever domain]; check username and password box (this is now required because of the security changes);

5. When you check the SSL box for secure settings, the port number should automatically change to the correct port.

If ATT is still bugging you, Daifne is correct - it's an issue with them. If you get a "tech support" (if you can call them that) person who insists otherwise, remind them that the necessary info for this changeover is not even spelled out in their own help pages on the website. If they say they don't support TB, inform them that their help pages say they do, even if they "maximize" for Outlook.
chill21632

Royally Screwed

Post by chill21632 »

Hello Everybody,

I have been screwed by Thunderbird and Netscape.net/AOL. I would love to speak with a live person to explain to me exactly what the HELL I need to change or type to retrieve the correct settings for my email. Since netscape.net went away I have not been able to retrieve my message from that site or even log on to my old account, and I have installed, I believe, all the extension and add-on possible to help me. I have spent all week on the phone trying to find someone to help me at any of the sites...TO NO AVAIL OF COURSE...

I am starting to think that FREE is to good to be true when it comes to Technical Support. All they seem to give you are crappy instructions that seem to be made for computer techs or you are OOL.

Can anyone help me....I have not been able to even log on my email account that I incorporate into Thunderbird. I have tried to install ATT.NET (which is a paid acct) and netscape.net :-X
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Er, first, your problems with Netscape have absolutely nothing to do with Thunderbird. Netscape and Netscape.net are AOL products, not Mozilla.

Second, Netscape.net transitioned everyone over to AIM accounts over a year ago. If you didn't move over when they told you to, that's your fault.

Third and finally, why did you post in an unrelated topic? Post your own topic for your problems.

Post by Guest »

<wearily> these are and have been my settings for quite some time - i can't remember how long.

thanks, anyway. really thought i could find help here without going through the agony of att for a problem that just cropped up.

thank you.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You were complaining about Netscape.net. What does that have to do with ATT?
debj

Post by debj »

hi,

i wrote that 10:06 post, if that is what you are referring to. i not sure how you get complaining about netscape from it. when i wrote the post i just assumed my username would pop up automatically as i posted, but it didn't.

i was talking about att.

my settings have always been what everyone is suggesting - ssl, 925 port, etc. etc. etc., and i've read the mozilla zine article, too.

i really thought i might find solutions here at thunderbird support since i've been a tbird user for three years.

i have finally posed the problem to att and they have acknowledged my email. i will probably call them in the morning.

i hope tbird and i don't have to part ways over this. i can't believe i may finally be driven to use outlook and ie, after all these years, since i was weaned back in the day with netscape - mosaic, anyone?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I had thought you were chill21632 replying. The problem when you don't enter a user name and let it default to "Guest".

There is no way that anyone here can help you if you don't state what's wrong. Error messages would help immensely.

As I did tell chill21632, a new topic would be much better even though you are talking about ATT. This one is five pages long and quite confused as it is.
Harry Not Potter

Post by Harry Not Potter »

How do you send mail from a sub-account into AT&T/sbcglobal/Yahoo?

Open Account Settings and scroll down to Outgoing Server. Highlight the Default server and click [Edit...]. Slide that back box down so that you can see the server name behind. Note the relation. You might want to write down the smtp... and user name. If you are getting in I expect that (o) SSL is checked and Port is 465. Click cancel, unless you chose to change something.

Click the [Add...] button for a new server, and slide that box down. Enter the same SMTP and the sub-account e-mail address. Click ( ) SSL and Port 465 should appear. Click OK.

Go up to the sub-account and look at Account Settings. "Outgoing Server (SMTP) probably says "De Fault." Drop the menu and select the new server. Click OK.

That worked for me, so it certainlly must work for You!