AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SM2_TbirdDude

Re: AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

Post by SM2_TbirdDude »

Hi Daifne (?). I'm actually a Sea Monkey 2 user and have tried to get some help on the SM part of the forum here, I think LOL, I googled my problem which is, What settings should I (longtime ATT/Yahoo) have on my incoming and outgoing email servers? I migrated to SM2 last week and now I can't send email because I get a Send Email SMTP Error. I tried all sorts of combinations involving Check or Uncheck password & username, SSL/TLS, or TLS etc. but to no avail. I had used SM 1.1 thru SM 1.18 OK without this Send Mail Error problem but since I installed the new SM2, the outgoing email function don't work. Sometimes I do get incoming mail and other times I get error message that The Server Has Timed Out. I believe that Thunderbird and SM are similar in many ways, so I thought I'd give it a try and see if I can get help here, perhaps thru another user's resolved experience. I read a post in this Topic about how to have the correct user name typed where ATT asks you. I will try that approach but after 2 days of trying, I'm about to give up and not use SM email module but I am so used to it and it always worked so clean and great. But if you advanced users of both SM and Thunderbird have kinda summarized what is the global problem viz a viz AT&T and the common codes used by both Mozilla apps in relation to what ATT wants its users to do, could you point me to a probable successful solution? I'll return here later on and check whats up. Meantime, I'll keep trying at the SM board. I'm Mozwriter at the SM board, btw. Thanks!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Our SeaMonkey Support forum is here: viewforum.php?f=40

The settings are the same in both programs, but you would serve yourself better posting in the actual SeaMonkey forum. I don't use SeaMonkey, so don't do support for it.
Foothills631

Post by Foothills631 »

Trying to use Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 in both XP and 7. Have used Thunderbird with bellsouth.net for several years. Now ATT switching to att.yahoo.com. Have not been able to set up Thunderbird with their parameters, which included SSL with pop.att.yahoo.com Port 995 for incoming and smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 for outgoing. When trying to connect with Thunderbird I get 'Connection to server pop.att.yahoo.com timed out' I tried with and without SSL with same results. Presently receiving as web-mail with att.yahoo, but would definitely like to return to using Thunderbird. Any thoughts how I might correct this?
=
keyboardkarate

Post by keyboardkarate »

My problem may not be the same as all of you, but it took me some time to realize what my Actual problem was.Here was my problem: I have 3 computers. 1 with a single e-mail account setup. That one can send and receive fine. The 2nd PC has 2 e-mail accounts setup. It can send/receive with one and only receive with the other. The 3rd PC has 3 e-mail accounts setup on it. It can send/receive with one, but only receive with the other 2.

The REAL problem is this. When you try to send mail as a given E-mail Address, the username you specified in the settings of the Outgoing Server you setup must match that e-mail address. Otherwise, you'll get an error saying "The SMTP server may not be available ..."

First of all, Bellsouth/AT&T does not support Thunderbird. I called to get support and some chick said she didn't have the resources to help me, but she was going to send me to a department who Could. She sent me to some retard who I explained my problem to and then he came back and told me there was an outage in my area. I proceeded to call his bluff and so he told me he couldn't help me, but would send me to some Support Plus line where I had to pay for support. That's what support has turned into. If they can't solve your problem by reading their scripts, then you have to pay extra. Here's the problem, and how I resolved the issue:

The problem is that, whichever account you're sending e-mail from, the outgoing mail server verifies that the outgoing username matches the incoming username. With my old internet provider, I was able to use 3 e-mail accounts in one Thunderbird Profile and have ONE outgoing mail server. The difference is that my old provider didn't require authentication through the outgoing mail server. With AT&T/Yahoo, it does! When using AT&T/Yahoo, you can't have 3 e-mail accounts and send through one outgoing server username. The Outgoing Server User Name has to match the username of the account you're trying to send mail from.

So, the first thing is to setup an outgoing mail server for each of your different e-mail accounts you have setup in that one Thunderbird Profile. Say you have 3 e-mail accounts (user1@att.net, user2@att.net and user3@att.net). That means you need to have 3 separate outgoing mail servers added; one for each e-mail account.

To do this, go to Tools >> Account Settings. Click on the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" at the very bottom. Add 3 outgoing mail servers. For the first one, make the User Name "user1@att.net". The 2nd will be for user2@att.net, and the third for user3@att.net.

Once those 3 are setup, you need to assign the Outgoing Server accounts to the associated Mail Accounts. So, if you scroll up, you'll have your Mail Accounts. If you click on your first mail account in your list, there will be a drop-down box for the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". That is how you associate the outgoing mail server to your Mail Account. Do that for all accounts.

Now that you have each Mail Account associated to their own Outgoing Server, you should have no problems sending mail from your various mail accounts.
keyboard karate

Post by keyboard karate »

.. by the way. I set incoming and outgoing mail servers to use SSL and have my username as my full e-mail address. Do NOT check the box that says to use secure authentication.

sometimes I do get quirky messages suggesting that the server did not respond or is not available, but it works after a 2nd or 3rd try. Sometimes I wish I could go back to paying more for my DSL to get better service and support. Good Job Bell South/South Central Bell/AT&T/Whatever you want to call yourself.
VballPLAR

Post by VballPLAR »

Anonymous wrote:.. by the way. I set incoming and outgoing mail servers to use SSL and have my username as my full e-mail address. Do NOT check the box that says to use secure authentication.

sometimes I do get quirky messages suggesting that the server did not respond or is not available, but it works after a 2nd or 3rd try. Sometimes I wish I could go back to paying more for my DSL to get better service and support. Good Job Bell South/South Central Bell/AT&T/Whatever you want to call yourself.
I cant find the drop down box to associate the SMTP server with an account. Where exactly is that.
And part II, when i dont check the box to use authentication, the e-mail address drops off and all I have is the SMTP server address and that doesn't work
VballPLAR

Post by VballPLAR »

Never mind - found it. But i have to keep enetering my password for eaxch account any ideas
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you clicking on the option in the password entry dialog to have Thunderbird save that password for automatic entry?
VballPLAR

Post by VballPLAR »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you clicking on the option in the password entry dialog to have Thunderbird save that password for automatic entry?
Yes, but I can't even get the paswword to go thru, even after fixing the outgoing server. I get a message
"Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: invalid user/password"
Some of my accounts do work though.
I hate this change!

Post by Guest »

Just found it - for some reason, the program enters the domain name twice, so it is @____.com@___.com. Fixed that and it seesm to be working.

Post by Guest »

I've just contacted AT&T re port 25 and I've been advised that contacting the order department they will upgrade the service which will resolve the issue. In other words, open up port 25 which will allow connection to other mail servers!

Post by Guest »

Well, spoke to AT&T technical team and got port 25 opened - it now works a dream and not a single AT&T setting in sight!!! I now just use my email settings for my other providers and domains!
I never use addresses provided by services such as AT&T anyway because you only have to change it if you move provider. If you want to use Tbird then I suggest you do the same - it's a lot less hassle.
I can now enjoy using email again!!!

Post by Guest »

Thank you for this forum, I final got it to work. What happen was I had to change my password. and to get the smtp to use the new pass word I had to remove my email address in the smtp settings box and then click ok to save that redit the setting with my xxx@att.net address in the secury settings box, smtp worked and I'm emailing agin. Sorry about the lousy instruction, not my long suit.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Guest wrote:Thank you for this forum, I final got it to work. What happen was I had to change my password. and to get the smtp to use the new pass word I had to remove my email address in the smtp settings box and then click ok to save that redit the setting with my xxx@att.net address in the secury settings box, smtp worked and I'm emailing agin. Sorry about the lousy instruction, not my long suit.

You could have saved yourself some trouble by just removing the saved password.
cdbennett

Post by cdbennett »

I am having the same problems detailed above. I have used ATT DSL for years. I switched to U-verse last week and cannot get Thunderbird to send outgoing mail any longer. The irony of it is the only change I had to make was the port number and switching to SSL. Everything else is exactly the same. I finally deleted my original control record and started all over again.

I do receive just fine, as experienced above. I had the same tech call where they helped me set port 465 and SSL then passed me to the support tech line only they were looking to charge $99 this time with no guarantee that they would make it work for that amount.

After all this time, is this yet resolved?

Christopher Bennett