AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
muudrock

Re: AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

Post by muudrock »

Guest wrote:Here is what I did and I had success with all 6 of our email accounts. This is for those using AT&T as your ISP with email addresses ending in ameritech.net, sbcglobal.net and att.net. May work for others.
Firs,t go to Options>Privacy>Passwords. Go thru the list and remove all the entries for the SMTP passwords. Now go to Tools>Account Settings. On left side of window where the accounts are listed, scroll down to bottom and click on "outgoing server (SMTP). In the new window, click "Add" create new SMTP servers for each of your email accounts with "smtp.att.yahoo.com" as your server, Port 465, Check the box "Use Name and Password" enter the full email address of the account and check the "SSL" radio box. Up where you entered in 465 for the port, you should also see 465 as default to the right. Click OK and repeat for each mail account. When you're done, go back and make one of the NEW ones the default. Remove all the old SMTP servers that were there before you added the new ones.
Next, in the left scroll window where you see your accounts, click one. To the right, right above "Manage Identities" button, click the "outgoing server(SMTP) drop down and choose the SMTP server with the same user Id as the account you clicked on. Repeat for all the accounts so the SMPT servers match each account. Click Ok.
Choose an email account and click the write button. Create a test email to send. When you send it, you will get a pop up window to enter your password. Enter the password and click the box for it to be saved in your passwords. Repeat the test emails for all accounts. Mail should send.
You should go back to Options>Privacy>Passwords and click on "show passwords". You should see all the new SMTP entries there with the correct passwords for each. Something like smtp://"userid1"%40sbcglobal.net@smtp.att.yahoo.com and your password displayed to the right. If all the info is correct, you should be done and able to send emails.

I agree, this works...

Post by Guest »

This works! I have been searching for a solution for days!

Post by Guest »

muudrock wrote:
Guest wrote:Here is what I did and I had success with all 6 of our email accounts. This is for those using AT&T as your ISP with email addresses ending in ameritech.net, sbcglobal.net and att.net. May work for others.
Firs,t go to Options>Privacy>Passwords. Go thru the list and remove all the entries for the SMTP passwords. Now go to Tools>Account Settings. On left side of window where the accounts are listed, scroll down to bottom and click on "outgoing server (SMTP). In the new window, click "Add" create new SMTP servers for each of your email accounts with "smtp.att.yahoo.com" as your server, Port 465, Check the box "Use Name and Password" enter the full email address of the account and check the "SSL" radio box. Up where you entered in 465 for the port, you should also see 465 as default to the right. Click OK and repeat for each mail account. When you're done, go back and make one of the NEW ones the default. Remove all the old SMTP servers that were there before you added the new ones.
Next, in the left scroll window where you see your accounts, click one. To the right, right above "Manage Identities" button, click the "outgoing server(SMTP) drop down and choose the SMTP server with the same user Id as the account you clicked on. Repeat for all the accounts so the SMPT servers match each account. Click Ok.
Choose an email account and click the write button. Create a test email to send. When you send it, you will get a pop up window to enter your password. Enter the password and click the box for it to be saved in your passwords. Repeat the test emails for all accounts. Mail should send.
You should go back to Options>Privacy>Passwords and click on "show passwords". You should see all the new SMTP entries there with the correct passwords for each. Something like smtp://"userid1"%40sbcglobal.net@smtp.att.yahoo.com and your password displayed to the right. If all the info is correct, you should be done and able to send emails.

I agree, this works...

Worked for me. Thank you. =D>
visions2001

Post by visions2001 »

I recently upgraded my dial-up to At&T DSL. Afterward I was unable to access my emails with Thunderbird. After 2 days of experimenting and searching, I found a solution. Here are the settings that worked for me:

Incoming mail server:
pop.att.yahoo.com
incoming port 995 (Default: 995)
Username: youremail@att.net
Security Settings: select: SSL

Outgoing Mail server:
youremail@att.net-smtp.att.yahoo.com
outgoing port 465 (default port 465)
Security and Authentication:
Check the box "Use name and password"
Username: youremail@att.net

If you have done everything right, In the "Outgoing mail server (SMTP) Settings box, it will have:
youremail@att.net-smtp.att.yahoo.com

SSL protocol: on
sid954

Post by sid954 »

These are the same settings that I have been using and it still doesn't work.
cybernian

Post by cybernian »

Around April 2009, I noticefd some occasional connection problems. They gradually became worse. Then I started a series of perhaps 10 AT&T tech service conversations over a period of several months without any luck. Finally, Thunderbird ceased to work altogether around October 2009. I engaged in a more AT&T tech service conversations including one guy who actually spent almost an hour with me. Finally, he inferred that AT&T no longer supports Thunderbird. Since then, No luck. My settings are mirror copied exactly from IE but I get a "failed to contact" message every time I attempt to SEND E-MAIL. SENDING WILL NOT WORK. Receiving is a snap. Hit get mail and it is there for the reading.

I switched AT&T type services recently and tried Thuinderbird again today. Same results. I can download E-Mail but not send. The same "failed to contact" pop up occurs every time I hit send. Oh well. Damn shame that AT&T chose to shut out T-Bird use. I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to someone at AT&T engaging in a carnal relationship with a counterpart at Microsoft.

s
Captain2409

Post by Captain2409 »

The settings at the beginning of this post worked perfectly for my att.net email. I couldn't get it to work for the longest time until I kept my username as XXXXX.XXXXXX@att.net and then it worked no problem.

Post by Guest »

beachhom wrote:I'm still in the camp that the att.net e-mail server will not answer to the new setttings provided by SteveB.
I have also tried all of the above. I can receive emails, but can't sent. I am running Thunderbird 3.0.4. What I get is a message telling me that the connection to the SMTP server at smtp.att.yahoo.com was lost in the middle of the connection.

My settings don't allow quite the same as above. Because I am only having trouble with outgoing mail, I am listing below only those settings:

Port: 465
Server name: smtp.att.yahoo.com
Secure authentication: no (when I try using secure authorization I get: Unable to authenticate to SMTP server ...)
Security: SSL/TLS (I don't have an option that allows just SSL)

Any suggestions? I have 2 laptops and both of them have the same problem. Thanks.
Lou7405

Post by Lou7405 »

Ok new one. I have 4 email address with one att account. One email address will receive but not send emails. The other three emails addresses send and receive with out a problem. This non sending just happen a week ago or so.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Lou7405, you've already started your own topic here -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1869185. Please stay in that one thread as posting all over the forums only makes it more difficult for folks to provide support.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Actually, Dan, he posted here first, then replied to another one about Comcast, and then, after I told him there, he started his own...
dE_logics

Post by dE_logics »

I would prefer dumping yahoo instead... it's loada crap. Their services are too buggy, and they are always asking for money like MS.

No wonder MS wanted to buy Yahoo... they share the same business strategies, Your money. Our passion. To be on the safe side, I stick to Gmail, they support opensource and so never cause problems.
EZ1

Post by EZ1 »

Thunderbird will work just fine with the new server. All you have to do is make sure that the account names include @att.net otherwise you will not be able to connect. It took me several tries to discover this. Both the POP server and the SMTP sever settings must be changed.
ONE more thing

Re:

Post by ONE more thing »

Hey Make sure the username is not just: jsmith BUT jsmith@att.net!!!!

that should do the trick and make it work!!!
jsjag

Post by jsjag »

Two days ago my ATT link to ATT e-mail site changed to yahoo. It was a crappy three hours after it and I almost lost a

For a lot of years I’ve been paying AT&T for an e-mail account with them. I have Verizon DSL.

I paid the $8 a month to AT&T for the e-mail only account so that my clients would know how to e-mail me. I have used the AT&T account for a long time and it would be a hassle to switch. Plus some of the e-mails I receive are important security sensitive and I wouldn’t want to miss getting the e-mail.

Plus today they made the big switch over and for three hours I could not get Thunderbird to authenticate their SMTP server. I have a Contact Manager that I paid $700 for and that e-mail client could not authenticate. I almost lost a $4,600 deal over it.

Finally 10 minutes before the final bid, I switched all the settings back to ipostoffice and imailhost. I cold again receive/send e-mail. Now it isn’t supposed to work but for now….it is working.

I think that AT&T jumped the gun and they were having problems.

The day my Contact Manager can not send / receive my e-mail is fatal for me and my wallet. I have tried every darn e-mail setting on TB and my Contact Manager but have never gotten the ATT.YAHOO server setting to work for me.

IT IS NOT an end user problem but IT IS an ATT or Yahoo problem.

After spending time doing an online chat with a tech person I threatened legal action if I lost the $4,600. I ended the online session. Amazingly the phone rang and it was the online tech person offering to try and help me. We spent a lot of time on the phone but never got the ATT YAHOO to work for me.

BTW, neither of my PDA's could get the pop.att.yahoo.com to work.

If I am paying ATT for an e-mail address I expect and deserve to be able to get my e-mail.