AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
evilroy

Post by evilroy »

I was having the same problem: could'nt send though I could receive. Everytime I tried to send I got the "Please enter password for <username>" It occurred to me that maybe my PW was right but my username wasn't, so I went to "Tools"->"Options". I clicked on the "Privacy" button, then the "Passwords" tab, then the "View Saved Passwords" button. For each account, there should be two servers listed; one is incoming (POP, ex:mailbox://username%40sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com) the other outgoing (smtp ex: mailbox://username%40sbcglobal.net@mail.sbcglobal.net). Anywho, I went back to my "Tools->"Account Settings", scrolled down to "Outgoing Server", selected the sbcglobal account, clicked "Edit", then changed my username from my email prefix (the part before the @) to my full email address and Voila! all is good.

Don't forget to test it both incoming and outgoing BEFORE you check the box to have Thunderbird's password manager remember your PW for you or it will keep entering potentially incorrect info.

Good Luck!
tdegiere01

at&t Yahoo! SSL e-mail

Post by tdegiere01 »

I also was having trouble with these new settings. We have a small home office. I could not get these settings to work with SeaMonkey (and presumably Thunderbird would also have similar problems). However, I did finally get it to work, but I had to shut down my anti-virus software to do it. I am using f-Secure, and they informed me that even though it is possible to change the ports to the ones on the at&t servers, it does not support scanning SSL enabled ports. So having a secure connection with at&t/Yahoo! involves, for me, disabling my client firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. Simply disabling e-mail scanning in our software did not work. Some other vendor's consumer software, Symantec perhaps, may also have these same problems scanning secure ports. F-Secure recommended a gateway server, which is far too expensive for our small set-up. Also we have other e-mail coming in on the normal ports from sources other than at&t. It seems like at&t is thinking like the big company it is, but did not occur to them that small set-ups might have problems with this situation. Even assuming that our current software could scan those SSL ports, we would have to manually switch the software back to the standard ports to get other e-mail.

Has anyone heard of or used or set up STUNNEL in Windows? This is open source software, ported, I think, from UNIX to Windows that supposedly can decrypt SSL connections and forward mail to the normal non secure ports. Assuming it would work, the set-up looks like it would be too difficult for normal users like me as it involves more than one piece of open source software.

The best solution for small users would be for at&t/Yahoo! to keep offering normal email for those that have small operations such as a home office. At&t did not seem to consult us before they sprung this on us, sending us a series of emails that we at first thought was spam, asking us to change our email settings. Nice to have a secure connection to a completely unprotected computer.
moochpooch

Still can't send mail with new AT&T settings

Post by moochpooch »

I've changed my settings in Thunderbird 2 on my Mac to the ones that are supposed to work for AT&T and I still can't get them to work. When I try to download my mail, it tells me that my password didn't succeed and that the username and password are invalid. When I try to send a message, the box asking for my password just keeps popping up into oblivion. I'll enter it, and it just keeps coming back. Interestingly, if I leave my POP settings as they were originally--non-AT&T--I can download mail with no problem. Anybody have any idea what I can do to fix this? I'm at my wit's end. Have been searching the web for answers to no avail. Will probably try to call AT&T, although I'm not hopeful as I've heard they aren't really Mac inclined.
schmui

Post by schmui »

how does this apply for european yahoo! users? tried everything to get it work and nothing seems to do it. did anybody get it to work?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

This is specific to AT&T Yahoo accounts. AT&T is a USA ISP and has absolutely no effect on any other type of Yahoo account. If your ISP is not AT&T/SBC then ignore this.
moochpooch

Post by moochpooch »

Well, I thought I got an answer to my settings problem, but it has still not worked. Since I am trying to use a non-AT&T email address, one of the tech support people told me to make sure I had smtp.att.yahoo.com plugged in, as well as 465 for the port, and also to have our assigned AT&T email address and password entered in the outgoing server to log in. (Previously I had my own email and password plugged in.) She said that this should allow me to send since it would be allowing AT&T as my DSL provider to act as a gateway for my non-AT&T email. But it doesn't work. The password box keeps popping up, and it just doesn't go through.

Does anyone out there have any idea what other setting I might be missing? Or, is Thunderbird the problem? The first tech person I spoke to was pretty unhelpful, telling me right off the bat that AT&T does not support Thunderbird. What she meant, though, is that they cannot provide any help specific to Thunderbird--only Mac Mail. Ugh!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

If you are setting up/having problems with an account other than the ATT/Yahoo account, then you need to start a new topic. This topic is about the ATT/Yahoo accounts only.
Baelder

Authentification problem

Post by Baelder »

Hi, You have already said something about the subject, but the thing is that whatever I do it seems not to work. I have 4 different accounts configured with the Thunderbird, two of them from yahoo. And just 3 days ago they stopped sending the emails. Only those from yahoo, of course. Well the thing is that Im living in Spain and having the adsl with the local company, so Im supposed to have the same smtp the outgoing server for every account. Its smtp2.adsl.ya.com And as the thundebird allows me to have hust one config. Im a bit lost.
What should I do? Thanks in advance for any help.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Once again. Your problem is NOT with AT&T Yahoo. This is a specific ISP that uses Yahoo as their email service and this topic is about their settings specifically. You need to start a new topic since you are not using them.

SMTP server settings for AT&T Yahoo! Mail

Post by Guest »

In addition to checking "Use name and password", under "Use secure connection" I had to select "No" before Thunderbird would send mail. This also automatically changes port number to 25 from 465. Cf Outlook Express which DOES require secure connection, shown also in AT&T "POP, SMTP and NNTP server settings" FAQ. Thunderbird is different for some reason.
anara

Post by anara »

Any resolution to this? I use both Avast and AVG and never had any problems before switching to SSL from ATT servers. My problem is the default setting for pop server in Account Settings won't allow me to save port 995. It lists 995 as the default, but it states 110 in the actual box. It won't save. I click ok and then when I re-open the Account Settings, it goes back to 110. The smtp is already defaulted to 465, so I can send with SSL. I can no longer receive. I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 and run xp.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Please stay in your topic.
Also, you should never use more than one antivirus. They will conflict with each other causing all sorts of problems.
gueststar

Post by gueststar »

evilroy wrote:I was having the same problem: could'nt send though I could receive. Everytime I tried to send I got the "Please enter password for <username>" It occurred to me that maybe my PW was right but my username wasn't, so I went to "Tools"->"Options". I clicked on the "Privacy" button, then the "Passwords" tab, then the "View Saved Passwords" button. For each account, there should be two servers listed; one is incoming (POP, ex:mailbox://username%40sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com) the other outgoing (smtp ex: mailbox://username%40sbcglobal.net@mail.sbcglobal.net). Anywho, I went back to my "Tools->"Account Settings", scrolled down to "Outgoing Server", selected the sbcglobal account, clicked "Edit", then changed my username from my email prefix (the part before the @) to my full email address and Voila! all is good.

Don't forget to test it both incoming and outgoing BEFORE you check the box to have Thunderbird's password manager remember your PW for you or it will keep entering potentially incorrect info.

Good Luck!

I did *exactly* as directed in this post just now and can successfully send and receive email now. Thanks!
Lost User 291824

Email

Post by Lost User 291824 »

NOT ALL the settings are going to work to all costumer. I'm still using the old settings and i'm not going to change till I can't send any emails. I use the ATT Self support tool to fix any issues with my outlook account and I just copy the same settings on my thunderbird. Other thing that you guyz should know if that we don't support thunderbird or anyother email programs on the market. We only support our webmail and outlook from microsoft.
Lost User 291824

AT&T SETTINGS

Post by Lost User 291824 »

email me and I would send the instrucctions on a microsoft word document on how to setup the ATT email on thunderbird ** e-mail address removed by moderator **