AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jsjag

Re: AT&T/SBC Yahoo's new email settings

Post by jsjag »

Proof that it is ATT or Yahoo problem.

Today I took another shot with using the att.yahoo configuration. I can say it is now working. I believe that they (probably yahoo) had server problems with POP / SMTP for the old ATT.NET people. Seems to be working now.

In fact one of the TB accounts that was not working but was set several days ago for ATT.YAHOO, started working without me changing anything. But two days ago it wasn't working with the same config.

jsjag wrote:Two days ago my ATT link to ATT e-mail site changed to yahoo. It was a crappy three hours after it and I almost lost a

For a lot of years I’ve been paying AT&T for an e-mail account with them. I have Verizon DSL.

I paid the $8 a month to AT&T for the e-mail only account so that my clients would know how to e-mail me. I have used the AT&T account for a long time and it would be a hassle to switch. Plus some of the e-mails I receive are important security sensitive and I wouldn’t want to miss getting the e-mail.

Plus today they made the big switch over and for three hours I could not get Thunderbird to authenticate their SMTP server. I have a Contact Manager that I paid $700 for and that e-mail client could not authenticate. I almost lost a $4,600 deal over it.

Finally 10 minutes before the final bid, I switched all the settings back to ipostoffice and imailhost. I cold again receive/send e-mail. Now it isn’t supposed to work but for now….it is working.

I think that AT&T jumped the gun and they were having problems.

The day my Contact Manager can not send / receive my e-mail is fatal for me and my wallet. I have tried every darn e-mail setting on TB and my Contact Manager but have never gotten the ATT.YAHOO server setting to work for me.

IT IS NOT an end user problem but IT IS an ATT or Yahoo problem.

After spending time doing an online chat with a tech person I threatened legal action if I lost the $4,600. I ended the online session. Amazingly the phone rang and it was the online tech person offering to try and help me. We spent a lot of time on the phone but never got the ATT YAHOO to work for me.

BTW, neither of my PDA's could get the pop.att.yahoo.com to work.

If I am paying ATT for an e-mail address I expect and deserve to be able to get my e-mail.
Bellsouth.net user

Post by Bellsouth.net user »

I am having the same problem, except I have a bellsouth.net address which is part of AT&T and have been unable to connect. Can received but not send. All of the above suggestions deal with att.net addresses. Has anyone found something different with bellsouth.net addresses
beachhom

Post by beachhom »

att.net user which has merged with yahoo.com for e-mail processing. I can receive but cannot send e-mails. The server settings have been changed. Any body with what the new settings should be?

Post by Guest »

Still Not working
Comwest57

Post by Comwest57 »

Hi
Since the change to Yahoo, I am asked to enter password before sending or receiving. I put the yahooo password correctly, but the system rejects it. Is this happening to anybody? How can I fix it? My server setting, including port number, SSL, etc. are correct.
beachhom

Post by beachhom »

Hi,
This works for me.
Account Name:xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net [my e-mail address from my internet service provider]
Incoming Server Setting: pop.att.net.yahoo.com Port 995
User Name: xxxxxxxxx.att.net
Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Server:
Server Name: smtp.att.yahoo.com Port 465
User Name: xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net
Secure Authentication: No

Good luck :D
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 9th, 2010, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove email address.
bc46

Post by bc46 »

[quote="beachhom"]Hi,
This works for me.
Account Name:xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net [my e-mail address from my internet service provider]
Incoming Server Setting: pop.att.net.yahoo.com Port 995
User Name: xxxxxxxxx.att.net

Outgoing Server:
User Name: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net">xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net</a><!-- e -->

My outgoing server setting are set exactly as beachhom, but I still can not send emails. No problem receiving. Any other suggestions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
beachhom

Post by beachhom »

No trouble at the moment. Its working! No error messages.
Version 3.0.4
McAfee Security Center with firewall and anti-virus. Just installed Microsoft's Security Essentials.
Never compacted my folders. Will do the deed.
Settings are as above. Created a new account within Thunderbird with the above settings and it all worked IN & OUT.
Only issue is merging the old account folders into the new account folders.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can drag and drop messages (while holding down the Ctrl key) from the old folders to the new or use the "Message->Copy to" menu steps to transfer those messages. That will copy the messages to ensure that if any do not transfer the original will still be available in the old folder to try again.

Post by Guest »

THIS IS ERROR MESSAGE:

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.att.yahoo.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.

USING THUNDERBIRD 3.0.4, MCAFEE ANTIVIRUS PLUS

Outgoing Server:
User Name: xxxxxxxxxxx@att.net
beachhom

Post by beachhom »

I was experiencing the same problem. I could receive but not send. Problem was solved when I deleted my old outgoing server account and address added a fresh new account with my same old e-mail address [thru Tools, Account Settings, Outoing Server(smtp), using the above Outgoing Server "Server Name""and my e-mail address and security settings]
Bonaparte

Post by Bonaparte »

Started with ATT for their half priced DSL special for a year but it surely cost me dearly in my time. I have been on this email issue off and on for daaaaaaaaaaaays. Finally I can send and receive using TB version 2.0.0.24 on multiple computers (XP Pro Service Pack 3 and Vista Home machines). Have 2 ATT email accounts, I'm the Primary account and a sub-account for my wife. We both have multiple POP accounts, web mail, Gmail, etc. that are all pulled in by TB. I know that ATT changes stuff around every so often who knows how long what I tell you is good for.

First of all to create or confirm the configuration for your ATT account on TB go to:
http://www.att.com/esupport/ >Internet Support >(Select) DSL High Speed (or) U-verse High Speed (under "Top Solutions, in the middle of the page) >View More Top Solutions >How do I set up my email to use Outlook, Apple Mail, or other popular programs?

This is a Very good tutorial and is up-to-date for the correct configuration (July 2010). I would have been much further along had the half-ass Tech support sent me here from the start but remember, "Thunderbird is not supported by ATT" [sarcasm]. :)

There's more!!!!

If you have more then one POP account, etc., when you are done setting up the ATT account, YOU MUST set up your ATT account as the DEFAULT. In TB >Tools >Account Settings >ATT(or whatever you named the ATT account) >Set as Default (near bottom of left side of the Account Settings window).

It does not matter if you set up your ATT account correctly, if you have multiple accounts and your previous default account was not ATT then you must switch the default to ATT. This was another piece of CRUCIAL information that ATT support didn't tell me because .......... "Thunderbird is not supported".

I dedicate this posting to all peoples all through the internet who have taken the time to post solutions and reviews that helped me. Thank you.
Terra on Compuserve

Compuserve POP3 settings?

Post by Terra on Compuserve »

Dan...

Any chance you know what the settings should be for Compuserve's POP3 access to TB3.1? Everything was fine til a few days ago, when it started asking for my password constantly. Then it wasn't copying to the sent folder, and then other things from there. I tried different settings, based on a couple of forum/zine suggestions. Now I can't remember where I started...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Terra, you have a different problem. Please start a new topic and provide information about the issue and your installation of Thunderbird.