Thunderbird suddenly won't access webmail account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ross9953

Thunderbird suddenly won't access webmail account

Post by ross9953 »

After 2 years of use, Thunderbird suddenly won't access one of my yahoo webmail accounts (i have 2 and Thunderbird still accesses the second one perfectly). When I go into the Yahoo login, the user name and password are still current. I tried changing the password at the Yahoo site but Thunderbird still refuses to recognise the password and gives me the message "sending of password did not succeed. mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded:invalid user/password". I have deleted the Identity on thunderbird and recreated it, but still no success - any clues anybody??

cheers ross w
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
seeker2734

Did you recently change your Yahoo password...?

Post by seeker2734 »

Did you recently change your Yahoo password...?

That's what happened to me. I recently changed my Yahoo password and started receiving the error you cited in your post ("Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded:invalid user/password"). I went back to the old password and everything was fine. The issue seems to have been with the new password. It was only 8 characters long and apparently needed to be 10. I changed the password to one that was 10 characters long and everything worked just fine.

Interestingly, Yahoo accepted the 8 character password without a problem, both when I changed it and when I logged into webmail. It was only with Thunderbird that the password was not acceptable. So, I don't think it violated any of Yahoo's password rules. I'm wondering if Thunderbird somehow did not replace the old 10 character with just the 8 character password, but, instead, just replaced the first 8 characters of the old password. This would result in an incorrect password (and also seems like a simple mistake a developer might make). But, I didn't take the time to test this theory.

Also, I've been using Yahoo's new server settings since they came out (pop.mail.yahoo.com, use SSL, port 995, AND smtp.mail.yahoo.com, use SSL, port 465, use authentication), and I've had no problems until I tried changing my password. You can see these POP settings (along with your appropriate username and e-mail address settings) by clicking on <em>Options</em> -> <em>Mail Options</em> -> <em>POP & Forwarding</em> -> <em>Set up or edit POP & Forwarding</em> -> <em>View POP Settings</em> from the Yahoo webmail interface.

I'm not sure if this info will help, but I thought I'd share it anyway, just in case!

Post by Guest »

thanks seeker2734 i'll investigate and give the new settings a try my. old password was only 6 characters long as is the password that still works and both worked fine for 2 years until 3 months ago when only the one stopped working....???!!! go figure.... but i'll try the new settings and see how it goes. thanks for you time!

cheers ross9953

Post by Guest »

hey
even i am facing the same problem
i havent changed my password though
and all the standard settings on thunderbird
still the problem exists
----
*********@****.**** < email address removed by Moderator
steviex

Post by steviex »

I have removed your email address because we do not give email support on this forum. This would deprive other users of the benefit of the solutions offered here an the forum, also it allows more people to contribute to the solution.

And more importantly spambots prowl the forums looking for email addresses to harvest for spam
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
eputjr

Post by eputjr »

I started having the same problem suddenly on August 30. Upgraded to 2.0 a week or so ago and never had problems now all of the sudden I no longer can access my Yahoo account. Have not changed a thing until I went and downloaded the Web Mail extensions for Thunderbird and still can not access my mail. I can get it through Yahoo so something strange must have occurred in Thunderbird.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

Nothing strange happened in Thunderbird and it is nothing to do with upgrading to Thunderbird 2.

Yahoo has been (as is their custom) slowly rolling out changes to the Yahoo system.

In most Yahoo domains outside the United States Yahoo provides free access to POP & SMTP servers. For yahoo.com users in the US those POP & SMTP servers are only provided to those who pay for access. All users who do have access to Yahoo POP & SMTP servers are best advised to use those servers.

For users of free yahoo.com accounts they can use them with Thunderbird by use of "helper" functions that accesses Yahoo vis the Web and provides conversion for POP & SMTP access by a mail client. The best known of these are YPops, FreePops and most well known in this forum are the Thunderbird Webmail extensions.

These "helper" functions are all sensitive to changes in the Yahoo service. When Yahoo makes a change they almost all fail. That is what has happened again now. As accounts are gradually "updated" by Yahoo then the users will see the failure of YPops or FreePops or the Webmail Yahoo extension.

Users of the various functions I have mentioned should consult the forums of the functions for updates (they all have them). For users of the Thunderbird Webmail extension for Yahoo a new version of the extension is available today (version 1.2.3). Please go to Thunderbird > Tools > Add-ons to get the latest extension updates.

Failing that you can download the update from:

http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html
Violytte

Post by Violytte »

I just posted a similar problem under the heading "sending of password did not succeed"

I keep getting the following error: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.clearwire.net responded: Invalid password or user name.

The above posts seem to apply mainly to Yahoo mail, but I use Clearwire and so the solutions don't apply. I have been using Thunderbird for my Clearwire mail for several months (and previously used it for my old dialup ISP mail for years) without a hitch.

Suddenly today I am getting the above error message. I have not changed my password or changed any mail account settings. I am able to login to my regular Clearwire account and my username and password are both fine.

Any help will sure be appreciated.
vetogrisou

Problem with Thunderbird and Yahoo

Post by vetogrisou »

I had the same problem with Thunderbird and Yahoo.ca. I had two old accounts who work perfectly. But my two new ones don't work and always write : Invalid user name/password.

I finded the problem today after 10 months of research ! You have in your options of your Yahoo account : "Transfert on POP3". You need to check the case "Transfert on POP3" or someting like that (it's wrote in french on my account). After, Thunderbird will be able to have access in your account.

Good luck.

Vetogrisou
andy9354

passwords with Telus

Post by andy9354 »

I am also getting a password did not succeed message from Thunderbird. I don't use Yahoo for my emails and I haven't changed anything. I am on Telus internet service, big in western Canada, and wonder if they do the same as Yahoo or if they actually use Yahoo for their internet service and just rename it? Anyone know?
dbliss3593

Post by dbliss3593 »

I recently changed my password at Verizon's website, and deleted my Verizon POP account and SMTP passwords, but still T-bird doesn't ask for a password, as I expected it would. Whaz up?
Daniel B Bliss
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

dbliss3593,
You have a different problem simply because you are not using Yahoo. Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.
lgwsr

new version of web mail

Post by lgwsr »

I just tried to download and install the version of web mail as suggested above and I got a message that said it is not compatible with Firefox. I download from the location given above. http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Extension and Theme Install Instructions for Thunderbird Users:

(1) Right-Click the link for the extension or theme download and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the file to your hard disk.
(2) In Thunderbird, open the extension or theme manager (Tools Menu/Extensions or Themes in 1.5.0.x and earlier, Tools>Addons in 2.0)
(3) Click the Install button, and locate and select the file you downloaded and click "OK"
(4) Close and reopen Thunderbird to finish the install