Thunderbird suddenly won't access webmail account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sergserg

Thunderbird sucks

Post by sergserg »

I have the same problem.

Understand that I registered my email back in the day when you only needed 6 characters. If I change my current password, I can't change it back and I'd rather DIE than change my beloved 6 character password... So I'm changing me email client.

Goodbye Thunderbird.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Um.... If you are using Webmail, then the setting of the Password is absolutely nothing to do with Thunderbird. You need to do this on the Webmail's website.

If your email provider has stopped accepting a six letter password, for security reasons, then you need to either complain to them, or get a new email provider.

All Thunderbird does is log into your account with the password that has been agreed between you and your email provider, then download your emails into a convenient place for you to read.

No matter what client you use, with the same provider, you will have this problem.

Also you may need to change your password to comply with the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you entered into the service.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
manzanilla

upgrade to mail plus

Post by manzanilla »

You should upgrade to mail plus account.
Migeru87

I figured it out

Post by Migeru87 »

Alrite i had same problem bad vibe could not retreaive password and all that, i jus went into teh add-ons then click on yahoo options then jus clicked on beta and it works perfectly now
ScallyW

Post by ScallyW »

I've had similar problems with my Thunderbird and Yahoo accounts. Despite having used both of them together happily for a period of almost 2 years, the other day I lost the ability to send on one of the accounts (and was informed that my account was unverified). The next day I couldn't receive on it either. The following day I couldn't send on the other one (again, it was unverified all of a sudden) and was waiting to be informed that I couldn't use that one to send messages as well as it seemed that my facilities were being denied one by one. Having read back through some of these posts it occured to me that by having recently updated the Yahoo web version on the webserver I might have in inadvertently altered my settings and that it might be prudent to change my password to something longer if the rules had been changed (something I wasn't aware of) so, with that in mind I checked them over. It appears that the box allowing Access to POP had mysteriously become unticked at some stage. To be on the safe side I made a note of all the settings that Yahoo recommend for using external mails systems such as Thunderbird and altered them within Thunderbird (pop.correo.yahoo.es SSL port 995 and smtp.correo.yahoo.es SSL port 465 use authentification) but it's had no effect on the outgoing although I can now receive mails. What I'm being told now is to verify the server configuration SMTP but I do that, and according to what Yahoo says, they are correct.

Has anybody any tips as to what else I can do? (Other than throw the pc out of the window and buy a couple of carrier pigeons)
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

I suddenoly have the same problem, I can not send nor receive e-mails via TB & my Yahoo adderess. I am constantly being asked for my Yahoo password, which is not accepted! "Negatibes message" keeps reappearing. I am using WebMail-Yahoo 1.3.2 & WebMail 1.3.1. My Yahoo password is only (6) characters, could this be the problem? Yahoo mail accepts this (6) character password.
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

I am not able to send an e-mail from my Yahoo mail account via TB WebMail-Yahoo 1.3.2 to myself. I receive a message to enter new password for XXXXXX@yahoo.com on 127.0.0.1. When I do this the PW is not accepted. Could the problem be with 127.0.0.1 & if so what can I change this to??
Frank Reed

Post by Frank Reed »

I am now able to send email, problem was that "production mode & not "beta mode" was checked. Since I am now using Yahoo mail! & not classic mail, I checked beta & was able to send mail. HOWEVER, am unable to receive! When trying to receive, I get message- RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving message. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded. Negative Vibes from XXX22@yahoo.com. Need suggestions as what to do next to eliminate this problem of sending email!
me_nando

Password not recognized by Thurderbird Portable!!

Post by me_nando »

Earlier on today April 19-2008 at my office computer I downloaded with no problem Thunderbird and again with no problem I installed it on my hard disk there my mail-contacts etc where all downloaded from outlook express. I came home and Downloaded ThunderbirbPortable to my U3 flash drive and it DOES NOT like my password, he keeps on getting refused-unrecognized. How come? It is the very same I have used few hours ago in my office. I am using a 6 letters password and for my outlook mail and my provider that's OK, for my computer at work is was also OK. What's happening? It seems that only ThunderbirdPortable doesn't like it WHY?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

me_nando,
You have a very different problem than the one being discussed in this old topic. Please start a new topic so that you don't confuse this one any further.
WAVE1001

Password for mail via AT&T/Yahoo suddenly not recognized

Post by WAVE1001 »

My mail came through AT&T/Yahoo to Thunderbird for more than a year flawlessly. I also was suddenly locked out of my Thunderbird mail approximately April 7th. Nothing was changed i.e. settings, passwords...nothing. .

Afterwards, I called AT&T/Yahoo and changed the Email and modem passwords to a temporary then back to the originals with help from the AT&T/Yahoo operator since I’d spent time creating it. It was at least 10 characters.

For two weeks Thunderbird mail worked flawlessly then suddenly, the password didn’t work again. I kept getting various messages “ Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: invalid user/password.” , and “enter a new password for user ** e-mail address removed by moderator ** on poplatt.yahoo.com” right after getting off the phone with AT&T/Yahoo. Remember, my password was changed back to the original.

I installed Web-Mail-1.3.1 and Yahoo-1.3.2 via Daifne’s/moderator’s instructions. I still get “Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo responded: invalid user/password.” Should I call AT&T/Yahoo again?

I’m still blocked from Get Mail at Thunderbird. So many people with the same problem. My suspicious mind asks is it possible for AT&T/Yahoo to discourage use of peripheral Email sites like Thunderbird through changes in their own system? I understand that AT&T/Yahoo is currently making some “changes” as mentioned on the phone message.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

WAVE1001,
Your question is totally unrelated to this topic. Please start a new topic so that you don't confuse this one even further. BTW, you don't need the extensions with an ATT Yahoo account.

I also removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this.
hilmanhalimra

Post by hilmanhalimra »

well just simple answer for the problem. Just upgrade your yahoo mail into mail plus. Because as i know free yahoo mail doesn't support pop service. And for the gmail. First you should change the setting on your Gmail account to support the pop service. cheers all....... :D :D :D
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Why pay Yahoo for a plus account when there are helper programs and extensions to do the job? Do you work for Yahoo?
Daifne

Re: Thunderbird suddenly won't access webmail account

Post by Daifne »

lwscshn,
You have a couple of different issues. Please start a new topic so that we can help you better.