Software Update Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dawso007

Software Update Failed

Post by dawso007 »

I just got the automatic update this morning and it does not install and continues to give me an error message "Software Update Failed - One or more files could not be updated. Please makes sure that all other applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files, and then restart Thunderbird to try again."

When I do that - I continue to get the same error repeatedly and cannot pull up the current version of Thunderbird.

I have checked the "known issues" about firewall compatibility and that is not he sourece of the problem. I have installed these automatic installation many times before without any problems.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

GD

Post by Guest »

I'm absolutely flummoxed and actually pissed off. Someone should have tested their updates a few more times before rolling out.

I've tried reinstallin 1.5 and 2.0 and can't get anything to install completely now. I'm not entirely sure if my data is still intact or not...

PISSED OFF!!!!!!!

Got any ideas???

hans

Post by Guest »

I found that I can get 2.0 to install if I install in a separate directory.

call it thunderbird2

all my mail came up fine.

best of luck.

hans

same 1.5.0.10 problem

Post by Guest »

It seems they did not test the release on a third machine. Anyway just delete the folder named 0? under updates and TB will return to working.

Post by Guest »

I'm having the same problem....
On my PC at work, it said it couldn't use the update files and would have to download the whole package, but that seemed to install OK.
Now at home I was getting the continuous message above, and when I deleted the "0" folder as suggested, it then downloaded the whole package and automatically installed that. Now it has returned to the continuous "Update failed messages again.

I need my emails, is there anyone who knows an answer to this, before I resort to a system restore?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I'm having the same problem....
Now at home I was getting the continuous message above, and when I deleted the "0" folder as suggested, it then downloaded the whole package and automatically installed that. Now it has returned to the continuous "Update failed messages again.

Exact same problem that I am having. Also can't clear the updater or software update windows - they just continue to recycle.

GD
KMS

Same problems

Post by KMS »

Yep, the update also screwed up Thunderbird on my computer, and when I tried to re-install version 2.0 again, the installation failed and now my computer doesn't seem to recognize Thunderbird as even being on my computer anymore. I have no idea what to do...where can I find this "0?" folder so that I can try to delete it and see if that works? What should I do to even get Thunderbird back on my computer as a recognizable program?
mrbillb

Re: Same problems

Post by mrbillb »

KMS wrote:Yep, the update also screwed up Thunderbird on my computer, and when I tried to re-install version 2.0 again, the installation failed and now my computer doesn't seem to recognize Thunderbird as even being on my computer anymore. I have no idea what to do...where can I find this "0?" folder so that I can try to delete it and see if that works? What should I do to even get Thunderbird back on my computer as a recognizable program?

Chalk up another failure to update. This is ridiculous. Somebody really fouled up this time. I'm getting the same problems as described above, and I don't see any solutions posted.

Bill
Bill Bradley

Post by Guest »

Update...

Following this advice from another thread:

Delete all of the files in the application directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird. Clear your browser cache and Windows Temp directory. Download a new copy of the installer from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ and install it again.

...seems to have worked. (Basically a re-install from scratch).
Don't worry, your profile and saved mail is not affected by this.
KMS

Problem with starting from scratch

Post by KMS »

When I tried to delete all of the folders in Mozilla Thunderbird under Program Files, I could delete all but one called "mozMapi32.dll". It tells me that "access is denied" when I try to do this. Because I cannot delete this folder, I cannot re-install the update.

Help. I am so frustrated.
KMS

solved

Post by KMS »

Alright, apparently my Logitech QuickCam program did not allow me to re-install the update properly. After uninstalling this program, I found that all of my e-mails were intact when I started over from scratch.

Post by Guest »

Make sure terminate the Thunder... process before you delete the 0 folder under updates. Then start TB again, and change the tools->options->advanced->update option to ask me ...
TB should return to normal.

Re: solved

Post by Guest »

KMS wrote:Alright, apparently my Logitech QuickCam program did not allow me to re-install the update properly. After uninstalling this program, I found that all of my e-mails were intact when I started over from scratch.

You are right, but you do not need to *uninstall* the quickcam, just stopping it is enough to install a new version like 2.0 .
glakes

Thunderbird 2.0 update problems

Post by glakes »

As soon as I uninstalled my Logitech webcam the update installed fine
isaque

Post by isaque »

I disconnected the webcam from the computer and the update worked properly.