Software Update Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MTOakey

Update failed

Post by MTOakey »

I also had the same issue of 'failure of update' to "version 2.0.0.12 (20080213)" and after a quick search on www.metacrawler.com and perusing only a few sites I was able to determine that the problem was indeed the "webcam" .
I unplugged it, and killed the process tree for the cam software (no reboot of machine was necessary) , restarted "Thunderbird" and it did the update no problem and all is wonderful in my world again...

Re: solved

Post by Guest »

KMS wrote:Alright, apparently my Logitech QuickCam program did not allow me to re-install the update properly. After uninstalling this program, I found that all of my e-mails were intact when I started over from scratch.

Thanks for this. All I had to do was stop the LOgitech program then try again.

But this is ridiculous! What has Logitech to do with Mozilla, and vice versa?

How about the two companies collaborate, or failing that issue more detailed installation instructions.

I was here at work and starting to get really pissed off, except that I long ago learned to redefine the IT business as Frustration Management.

Gil
Moguta

Post by Moguta »

Anyone who has this problem (like I did), please VOTE for this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340535

The issue seems to have existed for quite some time, yet nothing has been done. And every time Thunderbird rolls out a new update, this thread grows larger. What about all the folks who may not know to ask here on MozillaZine, and just give up in frustration? There is absolutely no indication as to what the problem is, and few would expect that an external webcam program is at fault.
mkstalen

workaround process which should work for anyone

Post by mkstalen »

This process should work for anyone having this problem.
1st option is first shutdown Firefox also, for some reason Firefox also opens some of the Thunderbird dll's.
Retry the update.

If it still fails do the following:
Download the full installer for the update which you're trying to update to.
Go to the program files/Mozilla Thunderbird folder and delete all the files.
It will probably tell you the one or more cannot be removed (or you don't have permission to remove), this is because some other process has them open.
Download "Process Explorer" from Microsoft. It's a neat little tool which can tell you which processes have which files open.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lorer.mspx
Run process explorer and go to the Find->Find Handle or DLL, stick in the name of the file which you couldn't delete.
It will then find which process has that file open. (for me it was Omnipass)
Kill that process (or close the app which it belongs to)
Do this for all files which you couldn't delete.
Then run the full installer.
It should install with no problems.
Mr Rusty

Post by Mr Rusty »

It isn't always the webcam. I get this prob, and have never had any sort of webcam, ever.
finnish

Post by finnish »

Unbelievable. Quickcam was guilty for failed update.
Killing quickcam process solved the problem. so weird.
jsaaymi

Post by jsaaymi »

The exited the Logitech QuickCam from the taskbar and it worked for me. I think it was a problem with the QuickCam.
Tigra

Re: Thunderbird Update Failure

Post by Tigra »

Wies Guy wrote:Logitech Webcam software was the problem. If you go to the update log file in Thunderbird under your Local Setting directory under Documents and Settings it will show you what file (ie program) is causing the update failure.

It has been almost a year since the last entry, but the problem still remains. The auto-update of Thunderbird to 2.0.0.14 failed, it was only by luck that I found this list of problem/solution.

If the T/B installer cannot circumvent the issue with the Logitech camera, can it at least alert the user to shutdown the webcam software?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Actually, it was only three hours from the last entry to yours...

Post by Guest »

very helpful comment. Thank you
jimbo123456789

Re: Software Update Failed

Post by jimbo123456789 »

Thanks for the tip. I renamed the file and the update worked.
boucq

Post by boucq »

I got so frustrated that I tried to uninstall thunderbird. Now it won't even uninstall. I am completly screwed. I wish I would have read this before getting so frustrated. Now what do I do. It still shows up in my programs but it won't uninstall. AAAAARGH
tamalita

Post by tamalita »

Wow, what luck that I found this thread. I have had my quickcam installed for quite a while, never had problems with Thunderbird updates until today ..... thanks for keeping this thread active!
russ123

Post by russ123 »

User: This parrot is dead, deceased, it is no long, it has unwound its mortal coil, it is dead...
Mozilla: nah... its just sleeping but if you do all the right things you can wake it up...

I thought they didn't let that San Francisco techno nerd out of jail and now I discover the city not only let him out they arranged for him to work for Mozilla on this update...

Seems to me the cure is in fact the disease

God help me but where is that copy of Outlook, I'm sorry Mr. Bill really I am, I'll never say a bad thing about you again, but please please please let me have my email
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Huh? Logitech has very poor coding in it's software and you blame Mozilla? Yea, right.