Software Update Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
prinz

Re: Software update failed

Post by prinz »

charles.bigley wrote:
Anonymous wrote:You are right, but you do not need to *uninstall* the quickcam, just stopping it is enough to install a new version like 2.0 .

No need to mess about deleting directories etc. All I had to do was use Task Manager to end the process "Quickcam.exe", then click n the OK button.

The underlying fault in the installation process seems to be:
1. the message is not sufficiently informative (should include reference to "cancel any web cam processes"
2. should not loop indefinitely, but should offer Retry / Cancel

I really cannot believe it! but this works just fine!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! :D
mediakip

Quit Quickcam to update Thunderbird

Post by mediakip »

Anonymous wrote:I stopped the Quickcam10.exe process in the task manager and the update applied.

Yepp. I did the same thing. Just opened taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del) and quit the actual process "quickcam.exe" and I could update Thunderbird. Weird, but it worked!
aukew

update 2.0.0.9

Post by aukew »

Thanks for all the (indirect) help: it is indeed the Logitech software that is the problem (and as I read the suggestion, I remembered it was the same with an earlier update): I uninstalled all webcam software and everything is working fine now.
PAW
willowhaus

Post by willowhaus »

Holy Carp!!

Well...same problem, same fix. Kill Quickcam.exe - update worked. WTF???
abond

Post by abond »

After a short time of panic ;) I stopped my logitech webcam service (camera was not even plugged in) and the update installed fine. Must be some file with a lock on it when the webcam service is running...
Sorbukar

Logitech Quickcam causes Thunderbird update 2.0.0.12 to loop

Post by Sorbukar »

Kudos to KMS and others. I was tearing my hair out until I saw this thread.

I did exit on quickcam and everything worked perfectly.

This seems to be a common enough error that it out to be in the error message really.
mr44

Post by mr44 »

Same here.
Absolutely deperate after Thunderbird failed to accept updates.

Killing the QuickCam.exe the process contineud and update was installed.

Kind of annoying, this! :evil: Makes you wonder what else Logitech is influencing on your computer!
macmls

Post by macmls »

I just spent over an hour messing with this upgrade. I finally did shut down my AVG and Cam and it worked. I would appreciate these hints listed before the download starts. This happens to me on ONLY ONE computer every Thunderbird update (both have Cams, but the other has McAfee- do not have to shut these down). Hopefully knowing to shut these two things down now will prevent all the missed time working.
scarter

Post by scarter »

I'm sure glad I found this forum; I was having the same problem on Windows Vista, and unloaded the Quickcam starter, and presto, it worked. That is one of those obscure things that you'd never find but for user forums.

Thanks.
DenTarthurdent39

update success!

Post by DenTarthurdent39 »

Yep - the problem was logitech quickcam software. Right click webcam icon on toolbar, click exit. Update runs successfully. Thanks to all posters.
Sunnyk

Post by Sunnyk »

Same issue with me and I want to thank those who found this problem and solved it. God bless and keep you all
Imageman

Post by Imageman »

Vista 64bit / 4GB memory / Core 2 CPU

Thanks to 'hans', for his simple solution. I discovered the problem last night, but was too tired to work it. I lost sleep over it actually, and was very grateful to hans when I was able to quickly recover and get to my important emails this morning. My questions is "what the hell is going on"?

Is there a way to disable 'auto-updates'? I don't see it . . . IM

PS: I also have a Logitech Quickcam Orbit
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

by the way:
this is a software update bug (P2) both Firefox and Thunderbird
the so called Logitec bug (mozMapi32.dll) is only an example for this issue
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340535
Gayze

Post by Gayze »

Please see my reply to a parallel topic:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 93#3272793

I have no webcam, no quickcam.exe process to shut down, and I had the saem problems upgrading Thunderbird this morning.
trashed20

Post by trashed20 »

closing out the quickcam application allowed to update to proceed for me as well.