Software Update Failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I would recommend that someone who has experienced this report it in Bugzilla. I have found a similar bug for Firefox, but not for Thunderbird. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340535

Please, someone report this and then the rest of you vote for the bug. Whoever reports it, post the bug number back here. Thanks.
MarcoH

Post by MarcoH »

it seems that simply removing or renaming mozMapi32.dll in the Tunderbird directory solves the problem too.
Dongorino

Post by Dongorino »

Closing Quickcam10.exe helped me too.
Dongorino

Post by Dongorino »

Thanks for the tip - had to quit Quick Camera Tools on my Toshiba Satellite before Thunderbird 2.0.0.5 would install also.
Zapster

Post by Zapster »

Had the same problem for the last few days. I don't have a Quickcam, and I had closed as many taskbar applications as I could.
Turned out to be some sort of phantom Thunderbird process running. Killed that and the update went through fine.
pnks

Post by pnks »

MarcoH wrote:it seems that simply removing or renaming mozMapi32.dll in the Tunderbird directory solves the problem too.

i had the same problem, first on XP and now on vista 64.

xp - Had to re-name old Thunderbird directory to reinstall new version, as removing or renaming mozMapi32.dll was not allowed (could delete everything but). this seemed to work fine, and could delete re-named directory once everything was reinstalled as normal...

vista - uninstalled damn Quickcam drivers (cam wouldn't work anyway!), fixed it.
Don Moe

Software Update Failed

Post by Don Moe »

I encountered this very annoying problem with the automatic update procedure from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6. Finally I just downloaded the full TB 2.0.0.6 installation file and installed over the existing version. It stopped part way saying that it couldn't replace MapiProxy.dll. After renaming that file using an open instance of WinExplorer, the installation proceeded to completion. When I then tried to delete that renamed MapiProxy.dll, I got the "access denied" error. To track down which program had loaded MapiProxy.dll, I used ProcessExplorer (sysinternals.com) and did a search for that DLL name. It found that WinExplorer itself was the culprit! After closing the active instance of WinExplorer and restarting it, I was then able to delete the renamed copy. Apparently the "Send To -> Mail Recipient" option in the context menu was causing the problem.

Hopefully this provides others a useful answer to this update problem. Some of the other's suggestions didn't apply at all, such as the Logitech web camera. The Mozilla update procedure should be revised to detect this situation and handle it or at least provide a more meaningful error message.

Don
Jupiter, FL
Ubivis

Post by Ubivis »

I can't Install 2.0.0.6 too, but for me it always tell me that thunderbird.exe is running when I try to install the whole package.

But in taskmanager, no thunderbird is listed. This Problem also happens after a fresh reboot.

And no, I don't have a webcam :)
hippetyhop

Post by hippetyhop »

Many thanks for the tips here - I couldn't update from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 in Vista, very frustrating - couldn't rename or remove mozMapi32.dll, uninstalling just meant I no longer had a working Thunderbird! Did a search on mozMapi32.dll, found this thread, disabled the onboard camera (Acer Orbicam) and bingo, the update installed no problem.
GarrathE

Thank you!

Post by GarrathE »

I have been having the same trouble since TB 2.0.0.4 with each update. Didn't think it could be the Quickcam. Stop the widget in the system tray and it updated fine. Another thank you to those who sorted it out. Now Logitech, lets have a fix please.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

If someone would make a bug report in Bugzilla as I have been asking be done for some time, maybe it would be. I cannot, since I do not have a webcam. Come on someone. Make a bug report!
hippetyhop

Post by hippetyhop »

Daifne wrote:If someone would make a bug report in Bugzilla as I have been asking be done for some time, maybe it would be. I cannot, since I do not have a webcam. Come on someone. Make a bug report!
Errr, ok. I'm new here and this is my first bug report, I hope I did it properly.

Bug 391675
8-[
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Thank you. :-)
Rosydoodles

Thunderbird fault

Post by Rosydoodles »

I had this problem after upgrading to vista and after hunting through this thread I decided it was msn messenger as I have a built in webcam I can't disable (or couldn't be bothered to spend hours reading the manual to do so), opened thunderbird again and updates installed fine :)
yw

Re: Problem with starting from scratch

Post by yw »

KMS wrote:When I tried to delete all of the folders in Mozilla Thunderbird under Program Files, I could delete all but one called "mozMapi32.dll". It tells me that "access is denied" when I try to do this. Because I cannot delete this folder, I cannot re-install the update.

Help. I am so frustrated.

YW> One trick to try if you can't delete a file is to simply rename it. I moved
that file from mozMapi32.dll to mozMapi32.dll.myoldfile and was able to proceed.