Is it normal for Thunderbird to be so slow to display msgs?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CODR3SH

Same thing

Post by CODR3SH »

Also the same thing here ( Vista 64, thunderbird 2.0.0.9 ), I have both imap and pop accounts and even on simple text e-mails.

I thought it was because I have a lot of e-mails but I tried on a fresh installed computer ( same config ) and on the first e-mails the "problem" still there.

I'll wait, maybe it will be ok on the next update, if no, I really don't want to migrate all e-mails to outlook.

Good luck!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

If you had kept searching for more recent topics, you might have found this:

I wonder if you're seeing the problem addressed here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 49#3026349
Read the bug report. There seems to be some weird interactions going on with the address book. Seems very strange to me, but it fixed the problem in that topic for two people.
jto3212

Post by jto3212 »

I've been having the same problems myself (I'm running 2.0.0.9 on Vista). There a couple of threads on this and they say similar things:
-Compact folders
-Turn off email antivirus scanning
-Delete the .msf files from the profile folder.

I have tried all of these and none of them worked. The bug report suggests keeping the address book open. That didn't work for me either. I really don't want to switch back to outlook but unless someone has figured this problem out I might have to.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

jto3212,

Please start a new topic for your problem, describing exactly what is going on. Thank you.
CODR3SH

Post by CODR3SH »

I don't understand why to post in a new post, it is the same problem in the same circumstances with the same platform...

Tried all the stuff and after so much time still the same problem...
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

CODR3SH,
I didn't tell you to start a new topic, I told jto3212 who hijacked your topic to start a new one.
eggi

Re: Is it normal for Thunderbird to be so slow to display msgs?

Post by eggi »

Hey there,

I had this problem too, and it was making me nuts since none of the convential fixes would help. No matter what I did, when I started up TBird, it would take approximately 790Mb of Memory and spike the cpu at 50% (On a 4GB RAM 2.0GHz dual core system) and then come up after 5 minutes or so.

The solution I found was somewhat simplistic. Once I found it, and took action, my performance went right back to normal.

Doing a scan of my TBird directories, I found that my mimeTypes.rdf was almost exactly the same size of the memory used at startup (790Mb). I made sure that the default mimeTypes.rdf existed and deleted the humungous one. And that was that; everything was set :)

Hope this helps someone out who finds themselves in the same boat!

Best wishes,
Linux and Unix Tips, Tricks and Advice - http://linuxshellaccount.blogspot.com
sao_lai_the

Re:

Post by sao_lai_the »

willem1234 wrote:Solved my problem - wasn't Thunderbirds fault (luckily). My virusscanner was bugging, by taking too long to start scanning. Turned the thing off and voila, old speeds return.

Oh, thanks willem, your suggestion is exactly what I'm looking for. My problem had solved. =D>
But... I still looking for the solution that can let 2 app. work fine together. :roll:
EPedro

Post by EPedro »

I had the same problem, deleted the inbox{msf} from the profile folder and restarted Thunderbird.
Note do not delete your inbox file, just the inbox{msf} :D
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

EPedro,
Thanks for the reply but after 2 years, I doubt whether the OP is still monitoring this thread.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)