Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
trolly

Post by trolly »

:-)
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:Use the last advice: Uninstall the old version, remove (or rename) the folder and install the new one.

If I do this, won't I lose my bookmarks and extensions?
trolly

Post by trolly »

No. Your settings are stored at a different place. But you can back them up just in case.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Old kausikdatta

Post by Old kausikdatta »

I just resolved the issue once and for all. I hope it helps someone having the same issue with running firefox from a restricted user profile. I tried all the solutions given in this thread (well, most of them, anyway...), but could not get that error message to go. So, I...
(1) Closed FF in user profile
(2) I completely deleted all Mozilla folders - these are in two different places on my XP SP2 machine -
- (a) C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Mozilla, and
- (b) C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla
(3) Restarted the computer, and logged on as {user}
(4) Ran FF in user profile (opens as the very basic, safe-mode-like version, no extensions), and closed it down. This re-created all the relevant folders.
(5) Switched user and logged on as Admin with password.
(6) Opened Explorer, navigated to
- C:\Documents and Settings\{Admin}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{adminprofile}.default - NOT the other one in "Local settings"
(7) Copied all the files and folders for extensions, bookmarks, databases and stuff.
(8) Pasted them in the corresponding user profile folder, overwriting existing files: The user profile being...
- C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{userprofile}.default
(9) Closed explorer, opened FF, and BINGO! No error message, and the same appearance and extensions in the user profile as in the admin profile...

I am sorry if someone has posted similar steps earlier. I hope this helps another flustered user like me.

Cheers!!
jones172

Post by jones172 »

kausikdatta wrote:(1) Closed FF in user profile

First, thanks for the effort.

However, I am having trouble following this. You said,

(1) Closed FF in user profile.

Do you mean that I should get into the limited user account and then close FF?
Old kausikdatta

Post by Old kausikdatta »

I am sorry for not being clearer. I was having the problem of that error message only when logged in through a limited user profile (and NOT when logged in as admin). Firefox would still open (but with limited functionality) after I clicked 'OK' to the error message. The version in the About menu showed to be 2.0.0.7 (as it should be), yet instead of the 'check for updates' button, there was 'install downloaded updates'. If I clicked on that, it would try to install 2.0.0.5 somehow.

So, what I meant by step (1) was to close firefox opened in the user profile, before you followed onto the next steps.

HTH. If not, let me know.
Patton

Post by Patton »

Closed Tea Timer, AVG and System Guard (System Mechanic). Finally got my FireFox to update.

Hopefully we won't need to close these safeguards on our PC's in the future, when updating.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If they still insist on locking some of the firefox files you probably have. It always depends on which files they lock and which files should be updated. At least you can switch them back on after update.
Old Solo Owl

Post by Old Solo Owl »

For what it’s worth:

I had no problems at all updating to Firefox 2.0.0.6; I have no way of remembering for sure whether Spybot’s TeaTimer was active at the time; it probably was running.

However, after updating to Firefox 2.0.0.7, I get *two* error messages whenever I start Firefox. Actually this only happens in my Limited user account. It does not happen in the Guest account; it does not happen in a fully-privileged Administrator account. This machine is Windows XP SP2 fully uptodate. I am fairly sure TeaTimer was not running at the time, as I have given up on it. AVG is not installed on this machine, only Avast. Despite the claim that an update failed, Help About reports 2.0.0.7.

This also happened on another machine running Windows 2000, in an Administrator account. TeaTimer was *never* activated on that machine. AVG was not installed on it. Avast was temporarily installed to clean the machine, but its background "providers" were turned off, because the owner runs Verizon Internet Security (this bundles antivirus, antispyware, firewall, &c, without telling you whose engines are used).

The fix proposed in the last two posts is absurdly complicated for the average user.

Since this seems to happen with so many different products, and did not happen AFAIK with Firefox 2.0.0.5 and earlier, I believe it is an issue in Firefox. What is its Bugzilla number? Will it be fixed in 2.0.0.8?
trolly

Post by trolly »

@Solo Owl:
Probably http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
Yes, there is a bug out when updating firefox using a limited user account.
dbrimlow

Post by dbrimlow »

Quick question, as admin - not user, now that I disabled teatimer, how do I get the auto update to run the pending instalation again (instead of waiting for it to decide when to install).
trolly

Post by trolly »

If it is fully downloaded and still available:
Help -> Apply Download
But updates are stored user specific so your admin account will not see it. In this case:
Help -> Check for Updates

Remove the pending update later ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version ).
dbrimlow

Post by dbrimlow »

Cool. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:If it is fully downloaded and still available:
Help -> Apply Download
But updates are stored user specific so your admin account will not see it. In this case:
Help -> Check for Updates

Remove the pending update later ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version ).

Easier then removing the pending up date is giving your limited user account admin privlages, logging into the user account, running firefox and then removing the admin privs.

Not even reinstalling Firefox in a new location would work for me. I'm going to go pry my clenched teeth apart with a crowbar.
LeafyAcorn

It's all too much...

Post by LeafyAcorn »

I've read through most of the posts... but I'm not a computer geek and half of it confuses me.

I haven't got AVG or Spybot running... I've got CA's eTrust, and windows firewall. I can't figure out how to disable the eTrust virus scanner, though turning off the windows firewall still didn't do it... at least not on it's own.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want to have to go back to Explorer...

Thanks!