Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
trolly

Post by trolly »

Normally you have a tray icon (lower right corner). If you right click that icon you should get some options.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
ranamobile

Firefox 2 0 0 7 failure to update

Post by ranamobile »

Turned off teatime and downloaded update.
Didn't get the error message I had before - it said it was ok.
After restart "about" still shows version installed as 2 0 0 6!

What do I do now?
rgruenhaus

AUS: Update XML File Malformed (200)

Post by rgruenhaus »

the msg I get is that the latest update could not be done and to manually update, so I went to the link and downloaded the recent file and it gave me the same error above.
trolly

Post by trolly »

To both:
What happens if you install the new version into a new folder?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
ranamobile

update to 2 0 0 7 successful - eventually

Post by ranamobile »

After various update failed messages

Downloaded update rather than doing an online u/d

turned off spybot resident
turned off AVG antivirus
turned off Zone Alarm

ran prog and successful updated

culprit was either AVG or ZoneAlarm: cannot say which and could not be bothered to test, sorry.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I think it was AVG.
Flashes69

Admin privilages still don't work

Post by Flashes69 »

My account has admin privileges but the update to 2.0.0.7 doesn't work any how, all other has worked, has been a FF user since version 1 came.
In my Administrator account FF works fine but not in my user account that also is a PC administrator.
I have deleted the files mentioned but it still doesn't work for me.
If I have to delete FF in my account and login as Admin i will most likely stop using FF until this bug is solved, I never use the Admin account hence the privileges in my normal user account.
trolly

Post by trolly »

The problems described here are not a bug in Firefox but some incompatibilities between firefox and some security software which blocks firefox from updating itself.
It has nothing to do with user rights.
Please make a new thread and describe your problem as detailed as possible and also the steps you have tried to solve it.
Guest (paiged#bigfoot.com

Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

Post by Guest (paiged#bigfoot.com »

This is the only thing which works for me.

Change all limited accounts to admin
Run firefox in each limited account
Change accounts back to limited

It clearly runs as admin, but not limited. So, can it really be file locking, then?
trolly

Post by trolly »

The updater changes firefox files so it needs to have write access to the firefox folder and files. Usually limited users do not have that right. You can change the access rights of the firefox program folder - and the files within - to read/write for all. Then even a limited user can update firefox. Otherwise change the setting for update to "Ask me", refuse the update, start firefox with admin rights, perform the update and change back to limited user.
kenpoist

Post by kenpoist »

I think my problem is along the problem being discussed.
Here is my symptoms:
Firefox just recently updated and gets stuck in a loop.

It starts to update fails and asked for the user to exit any programs (I have no programs open to conflict).
When I just hit the X it starts over trying to reload the updates and still gives me the error, if I select the OK same results.

I've removed the program through windows add and remove, deleted the folder and tried reinstalling the latest version only to get the same loop starting.

The only thing that has been installed recently was the McAfee Suite.

I've even had the MIS guy work on it and he didn't know what the problem is.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks
FRobbDRobb&aol.com

can't upload 2 0 0 8 on my Mac OSX

Post by FRobbDRobb&aol.com »

The dmg file won't open after it loads. The Download Firefox button on Mozilla never gets bright green so I can activate it. The choose button also never turns green. View and Edit neither. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

@kenpoist:
Can you uninstall McAfee Suite before trying to update?

@guest:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing_Firefox#Mac_OS_X or http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... load_files
Varick

Question

Post by Varick »

I see all these bits of advice if one has Spybot and AVG. But I have the FREE Spybot and FREE AVG software programs that (I THINK) only run if I manually run them. Will those programs still interfere with the latest download of Firefox? Even if they were not open or running at the time of downoad or update of Firefox? I just wanted to know before I started opening up all these programs (Which I may need help with because I'm a computer moron). Thanks.
speedm

Post by speedm »

i had the same problem as kenpoist and i have mcafee as well. i didn't want to uninstall mcafee for reasons i don't want to go into for this post. what i did was uninstall 2.0.0.7, download the full 2.0.0.8 and run the setup. setup complained that it couldn't write firefox.exe. i went into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and tried deleting firefox.exe and windows wouldn't let me delete it. i did however rename it to firefox_old.exe, ran setup again and it installed 2.0.0.8. i check the version, 2.0.0.8 was running but it still complained that it was downloading an update (maybe due to the update xml file or something). after the so called update everything's working now.