Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Re: Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

Post by Daifne »

Did you try deleting the Mozilla Thunderbird folder in Program Files? If you did and you get a file locked error, do it in Windows Safe Mode instead.
JustHelping

Post by JustHelping »

Same problem with ThunderBird update not installing under 32bit Vista. I DO have a Quickcam attached to a UBS port. Disconnecting it didn't help. Saw no icon in the tray to disable. Opened the Task Manager to the Processes tab and found a Quickcam process still running. Stopped that process. Thunderbird installed correctly. Quickcam will reload on next boot. A little trickier than under XP, which happened to me before also. Hope this helps...
Graphicsgod

Post by Graphicsgod »

I am also having a huge issue with firefox! I have downloaded the latest ver. and have it installed on Windows 7. Also having the same issue with a vista computer as well, so it can't be just the new OS.

What it is doing is updating and after the update it asks to restart the browser. After clicking "yes" it never comes back. I then try to click on the icon in the taskbar or start menu and get this error:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

And if I check the folder in program files, the exe looks corrupted. Since the icon is missing. And after clicking on it I get the same error. So after installing an update or a plug in, seems to corrupt the exe file. What is going on here?!?

Now if I resinstall it, all is ok again till I am forced to install the update.

What can I do?!? It is driving me crazy!!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Graphicsgod,
Er, this topic is in the Thunderbird Support forum because it's about Thunderbird, NOT Firefox. How about you start your own new topic in Firefox Support.
malcinblue

Post by malcinblue »

Blackadder wrote:My fix for the "The update could not be installed. Please make sure there are no other copies of Firefox running on your computer, and then restart Firefox to try again." problem. May help.

Start task manager and kill the firefox.exe process
Right-click on the firefox icon
select "run as administrator"
Fixed! Firefox now working as advertised.

I've been trying to fix this problem for ages. This worked a treat and so simple.

Many thanks Blackadder
MajdaX

Post by MajdaX »

I had the same message when installing Firefox updates ("one or more files could not be updated...").
After reading this thread, I killed QuickCam10.exe thru Task Manager and BINGO! No more problems
Thank you
dsouthgate

Post by dsouthgate »

i updated my firefox on my mac os 2 days ago and since then i have not been able to get in to it. it loads up for about 2 seconds and then crashes. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it just does exactly the same thing again. i have run a repair and that does not do anything. i think it is something to do with the add ons but cant find where i can get rid of these. sorry bit new to the mac so still learning. as far as i know when i done the reinstall i have uninstalled everything. i really miss not having firefox can someone please help.