Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
trolly

Post by trolly »

From SpyBot it is only the TeaTimer component. For AVG it is the WebShield service. As long as you do not activate them everything should be fine.

Some component of McAfee seems to lock the firefox file. Unless you know which component does it (and you can disable it) the only way is uninstall it, update and reinstall it.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
ellegon18

Post by ellegon18 »

Hello all, I am having the same problem as everyone else. I don't have spybot sd and am running norton antivirus. Running windows xp sp2. Had the same problem last update, uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked, but not this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Billll

FF Updates

Post by Billll »

I'm running Win2K. Just got the update to 2.0.0.8. Installed it. I remember a message about some files, but not untill I restarted the machine. Now FF lists as V2.0.0.8, but cannot fint anything on the net:
------------------------
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at drudgereport.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
-----------------------------

It can't establish a connection with anything.
What I would really like to see at this point is a "Cancel Update" button that sets you back to previous version.
I tried downloading 2008 and did a fresh install. No dice, but no appearant errors either.
m1scha.m

Post by m1scha.m »

The latest en-US version of Firefox 2.0.0.8 is here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... taller.exe someone has downloaded it already tonight and says it works, download and install, things should work ok then.

If you can't connect, also try clearing your cache, and disposing of a few cookies, they may be stale.
miketen

Administrator Files can not be written by non-Administrator

Post by miketen »

Look people. Like many, I install firefox.exe as Administrator, then I log off.
My unprivileged user OBVIOUSLY CANNOT WRITE firefox.exe, but for years
it has tried to do this when updating, has failed, then it posts this asinine error message
every time firefox is started.

Please fix firefox this year to not attempt to Update, unless it is run by Administrator
or an account with permission to write the files. When an update is successful, please
update the mystery control hidden files in all the non-Administrator accounts to not
still complain about needing an update, when the update was already completed.

This is about the fifth time I've had to go hunting for these hidden bogus "warn about
pending update now!" control files.

I don't even know what to say anymore. I know several people who see this. I've even
heard it on tech radio shows, where the host is as flabbergasted and bewildered at this
incompetence as well.
trolly

Post by trolly »

@miketen: It is worked on.

@Billll: This is a different problem: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website (esp. the firewall section)

@ellegon18: If you can not convice your security software to let you update firefox (last measure: uninstall your security software) install it into a new folder and remove the old version later. You will keep your settings.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
jones172

Post by jones172 »

m1scha.m wrote:The latest en-US version of Firefox 2.0.0.8 is here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... taller.exe someone has downloaded it already tonight and says it works, download and install, things should work ok then.

From Tom:

I have downloaded and installed 2.0.0.8, and it works for me. The irritating message "One or more files ..." has thankfully vanished.

It may be relevant that Firefox 2.0.0.7 was pushed out using a different, IMO over-automated technique.

Tom Jones
James

Post by James »

jones172 wrote:t may be relevant that Firefox 2.0.0.7 was pushed out using a different, IMO over-automated technique.

Eh? .. Firefox 2.0.0.8 was pushed the same way as the past 2.0.0.* security releases were.

Not sure if the RC2 is on the same update channel so get the full build of 2.0.0.8 from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... .0.0.8.exe or www.mozilla.com
jones172

Post by jones172 »

James wrote:
jones172 wrote:t may be relevant that Firefox 2.0.0.7 was pushed out using a different, IMO over-automated technique.

Eh? .. Firefox 2.0.0.8 was pushed the same way as the past 2.0.0.* security releases were.

From Tom:

Speaking only for myself, I was unaware of the existence of 2.0.0.8 until it was detected during a scan by the most excellent Secunia Software Inspector. I then had no trouble downloading it, switching to the Administrative account, and installing it in the usual way. OTOH, the announcement of 2.0.0.7 suddenly appeared on my monitor screen while I had the Administrator privilege turned off. It caught me quite by surprise. In hindsight, perhaps I should have just powered down my machine. However, that is difficult to improvise on short notice.

Tom
Rienne

Vista Home Premium, Panda antivirus, installed new directory

Post by Rienne »

This was driving me mad. I couldn't delete any files as previously indicated as Vista would not let me.

I just went for route one in the end and wished I had done it before.

1 Exited all programs in systray including Panda antivirus. Not sure this made any difference as was still unable to use the update (2.06 to 2.07)

2. So I just installed 2.07 into a new directory Firefox2, and it all just started up. It then also updated to 2.08 ok.

Hope this helps someone
johnywhy

Should Not Need Admin Rights

Post by johnywhy »

All the solutions require that I have Admin rights on my computer. That's an inferior solution.

Other software does not require this. For example, my anti-virus software updates itself, even if I'm logged in as a restricted user. I browse as a restricted user for security reasons.

Requiring me to update Firefox with Admin rights compromises security, and excludes all users who do not have admin rights.

Firefox should not require Admin rights to update.
trolly

Post by trolly »

If a limited user is able to modify the firefox executable it is an even more serious security problem. It will punch a very large hole in the security screen you have if you browse as limited user.
If you catch a virus while browsing as limited user it can not infect firefox but also firefox can not update itself. If a limited user can update firefox a virus can infect the executable as well.
You know that updating will change the executable?

Updating a virus scanner usually updates only the signature database.
Tokend

2.0.0.8 software update failed - SOLVED!

Post by Tokend »

After reading several posts about possible causes of the failure of FF to update itself, including a few scary remedies involving registries and hidden files, I stumbled upon my problem, and it turned out to be a simple one. I post it here, hoping someone might benefit.

The problem was that there was another user signed on at the computer where the update of FF was failing. The previous user hadn't logged off officially. This user was semi-logged off automatically by Windows XP, but there were couple of apps open, including a FF session. As soon as I quit the apps, logged off that user, and rebooted (may not have been nec., but did anyway), all was well. Upon starting FF as the only user signed on to that computer, it updated itself.
crashingwaves

update problems

Post by crashingwaves »

I have not been able to connect with any firefox updates since update 2.0.0.6. It will say that the connection failed if I try to do it manually. It says that the update is successful when it updates automatically but then I can't open any webpages at all with mozilla. I've tried going into my firewall settings and deleting the mozilla exception, I've tried all sorts of things that were suggested with no luck. I keep having to reinstall version 2006 if I want to use firefox. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Did you run the EnumProcess tool?
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html

Did you try to rename firefox.exe to something else?
Install in a different folder?