Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mudmonster39

Files cannot be removed

Post by mudmonster39 »

I tried what trolly said to do, and move the new files into a new folder. I did that and tried to remove the old files. A error prompt saying Access is denied, Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and make sure that the file is not currently in use.

Anyone else having this problem and have a fix?

Thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

The cause is the same why firefox can not update itself. Remove it either in Windows Safe mode or use an unlocker. http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
penguinchylde

Post by penguinchylde »

Thank you for posting this. I've never had a problem updating until now but turning off AVG and spybot solved the problem.
krl1

Firefox 2.0.0.6 update failed

Post by krl1 »

Disable ALL running programs and processes in the systray. I had an instance of tea timer as well as ObjectDock and Unlocker running, respectively, and consequently, the update consistently failed.

Turning them ALL off made the update finally work. Unlocker, while a useful little program, has a very tight grip on the other programs it monitors.
tompepsi-1946

finally, it updated...

Post by tompepsi-1946 »

never had the prob until now. I used sysinternal process explorer to disable AVG and A2. But that didn't work. I did a fresh download of newest FF (with beating heart, as in 'please don't let this screw up big time') and was SO pleased to see that the fresh download installed correctly. Updated etc. Thankful for the help/suggestions here.
http://tompepsi.com
May

THANKS

Post by May »

OMG, thanks /SO/ much, I almost started crying because when the update didn't work, I screwed around and Mozilla didn't open at all.. Thanks :D:D:D
Adamski_NZ

Post by Adamski_NZ »

Temporarily disabling Teatimer and AVG worked for me :-) Many thanks to the tips found in this thread!

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem. if i do disable teatimer, update, then enable teatimer again, will i get any problems ?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not from what people are indicating
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
radiancestudios

Post by radiancestudios »

trolly wrote:As far as i see it you have to terminate Teatimer before updating. After the update you can enable it again. Seems to be some sort of protection against unauthorized access.
Did you had TeaTimer when you updated the last time?

Jumping in here. I too have had TeaTimer installed for years and have updated FF with no problems until 2.0.0.6. I killed TeaTimer via Task Manager (Win 2kPro) and FF appeared to install correctly. Many thanks to those who suggested this.

I also have AVG Free Antivirus and SpywareBlaster installed and running, and didn't have to mess with them at all. I wonder why some folks had compatibility issues and some didn't?

And I wonder why there's a compatibility issue with TeaTimer now, but not before? Is there a behavior in the FF installer that now resembles a spybot? Is that safe?

-- Puzzled
trolly

Post by trolly »

Someone mentioned earlier that Spybot updated shortly before firefox. Maybe something changed in TeaTimer.
The other things probably depends on different settings.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
shyguy38

Post by shyguy38 »

turning off teatimer worked for me....sounds like they messed up teatimer when they updated it.
adylevy

Post by adylevy »

had the same update problem the first time updating to 2.0.6 , with no teatimer open or anything that can protect it,
tried some security altering for the file system, didn't work.
i had to manually rename the directory and install a "fresh" 2.0.6 on the same directory ...
shyguy38

Post by shyguy38 »

From reading other people's problems re: this update. I have noticed that there are alot of messed up systems out there, but i guess the old addage goes....What works for some, may not work for others.

The Shy One

Re: oh happy day

Post by Guest »

I had exactly this problem - a user without admin privileges failed to update. I didn't have to do all of this with the profile though. I deleted the two .xml files. There is a folder titled 0 in documentsandsettings\user\localsettings\applicationdata\mozilla\firefox\mozillafirefox\updates\. This folder has some stuff left in it, but should be empty. I deleted everything in it, and the message disappeared.

HTH

dont have one wrote:finally solved it...

Had to use above suggestion, but the suggested article omitted that these files are hidden. However this alone was not enough (deleting the 2 xml files).

Had to from the admin account, after showing hidden files in explorer, go into the documents and settings folder. Then found the folder for the guest account and renamed it (so I had a back up of it). Then I logged off the admin and back on the guest account.

It created a new folder for the guest account in the documents and settings folder. Fire Fox now launches with out the error.

The two files ...xml that were suggested being deleted DID NOT solve the problem, but are part of it.

Thanks for the help on the issue.