Update failed: One or more files could not be updated.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
shyguy38

Post by shyguy38 »

Actually I had the same problem updating thunderbird to 2.0.0.6 as I did with firefox and teatimer.....disabled teatimer and it went smoothly....

just my two cents worth.
BlueEyed75

Re: Same Problem

Post by BlueEyed75 »

[quote="BlueEyed75"]I also have this message popping up since the update... but what is TeaTime? Did it come with Firefox? And if so.. where do I find it in order to disable it? This message coming up is getting annoying.
Help!

Ok.. I read through everybody replies... BUT.. I have yet to be answered the following questions...
What is TeaTime?
Did it Come with FireFox when I downloaded it the first time?
And if so.. how EXACTLY do I get to it to disable it?

I don't have SPYBOT unless it too came with firefox...I have searched through files in the Mozilla folder and not found anything titled Spybot, or TeaTimer.

I haven't had much sleep, and I do need some walk through guidance here to fix this problem.
BlueEyed75

Re: Same Problem

Post by BlueEyed75 »

[quote="BlueEyed75"]I also have this message popping up since the update... but what is TeaTime? Did it come with Firefox? And if so.. where do I find it in order to disable it? This message coming up is getting annoying.
Help! [quote]

Ok.. I read through everybody replies... BUT.. I have yet to be answered the following questions...
What is TeaTime?
Did it Come with FireFox when I downloaded it the first time?
And if so.. how EXACTLY do I get to it to disable it?

I don't have SPYBOT unless it too came with firefox...I have searched through files in the Mozilla folder and not found anything titled Spybot, or TeaTimer.

I haven't had much sleep, and I do need some walk through guidance here to fix this problem.
shyguy38

Post by shyguy38 »

Teatimer is a utility embedded in spybot, it has nothing to do with firefox. It just gets in the way most of the time these days.
trolly

Post by trolly »

How to disable it - if you have it - is described in the first post.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

Ive tried updating with version 2.0.0.6. No joy, I keep getting this error message. But if I used the downloaded build, as opposed to letting firefox update itself, it gives the error message that in the components folder, the file called nsSessionStartup is the one that cannot be updated. Im not running teatimer, AVG, Zonealarm, or any antivirus or firewall software. Ive even tried applying the build in safe mode (XP pro) and im having no joy, it still wont allow it to write. Even in safe mode, I cant open or delete the nsSessionStartup file.

Anyone any further ideas?
trolly

Post by trolly »

The basic solution is described in the first post too. Install in a different folder and uninstall/remove the old one after a reboot.

BTW: Your user agent already shows firefox 2.0.0.6.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
mkiran24

Update failed: One or more files could not be updated

Post by mkiran24 »

It doesnt work for me.
I am seeing the error only if I logged in as a User and start firefox every time. In admin everything is fine. Its really killing me. If any body resolved this please suggest me. I am using latest version of Mozilla 2.0.0.6

Thanks Kiran
trolly

Post by trolly »

You have to remove the pending update from the limited user account.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_repor ... st_version
night_sky

Quickcam10.exe

Post by night_sky »

Terminating the Logitech Quickcam software did the trick for Thunderbird 2.0.0.6.
mycarsavw

Post by mycarsavw »

I appreciate this topic has been covered but I'm still stumped.

I'm running 32bit Vista Home Premium.

I have all relevant permissions (as far as I can see) yet I still get stuck in the endless loop of download/failure

My _last_ option is a fresh download and new install but then I presume I'll have to go through the bother of downloading all my extensions and changing their settings again - something I really don't want to do if I don't have to. Is there any way to save the add-ons, extensions and their relevant settings?

I've deleted the files from the first post - no joy.
I've disabled both TeaTimer and AVG - no joy.

Any other options?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Have you tried
Knowledgebase wrote:"Error opening file for writing..." on Vista

Firefox may require you to be logged in as an administrator. As a workaround, to launch Firefox, right-click the icon and choose "Run As Administrator"
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
postalmoose

Post by postalmoose »

I was totally frustrated trying to update to 2.0.0.6. I then uninstalled 2.0.0.5 and couldn't install either version. But thank god for these forums as I exitd Spybot and it installed just fine. Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

malliz wrote:Have you tried
Knowledgebase wrote:"Error opening file for writing..." on Vista

Firefox may require you to be logged in as an administrator. As a workaround, to launch Firefox, right-click the icon and choose "Run As Administrator"

With apologies for the delay in replying, yes I've tried that - no joy :(

Post by Guest »

Hi-
Every time I try I turn on my computer it says software update for firefox 2.0.0.6, so i click download and install now. then it downloads and installs and says restart firefox. so I restart. then it says "a current version of firefox is available: 2.0.0.6 we strongly recommend you upgrade. so i click download and install, and I go in circles like this over and over and over again. i checked to see if i have teatimer/spybot and I don't think i do. But its not like I get error messages, firefox just doesn't recognize that i ALREADY DID download and install and restart!! It's def really annoying. Any suggestions?