Where is my "Temporary Directory"?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

As an experiment try telling it to ask you where it should save the attachment and see if that makes a difference. On my system when I configure it that way it stores the attachments with the messages (and never asks me where to store them). It shouldn't effect your problem, but stranger things have happened.
bxcfilm

Post by bxcfilm »

That made no difference, but I have sorted it out. The file name was obviously too complicated for TB (and maybe this is one to pass to the bug people).

The file name was "InfoNet-TFC%20Edit[1] Brian 080907.doc" There's must be something there that TB doesn't like. When I changed the name to "File.doc", it went with no problem.

Thanks for your help.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I am pretty certain it's the "%" sign in the file name. How is the file getting its name?

If you want to report a bug, start with the Thunderbird Bugs forum, then visit Bugzilla.
bxcfilm

Post by bxcfilm »

It's a file which I received and amended before sending it back. The incoming file was named InfoNet-TFC%20Edit[1].doc, so I don't know where it picked up the "%".

Hex20 = Decimal 32 = a space (?). Maybe a space has got transformed to %20 somewhere along the way.

I will look at the Bugs forum.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

%20 is url encoding for a space. I'm used to seeing it within prefs.js - for example:
user_pref("mail.identity.id1.draft_folder", "mailbox://nobody@Local%20Folders/Drafts");

Its usually < > : " / \ | ? * characters that seem to cause problems because they're misinterpreted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Url_encoding
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I seem to recall a thread from a few years ago where the "#" character was also causing problems.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

This has been filed and confirmed as bug 379053 (core bug, apparently restricted to Windows platforms).
eslonim

Also happens with foreign language characters (Hebrew)

Post by eslonim »

Thunderbird 2.0

Below is an example of a file name which causes the same problem described above

file:///C:/Users/Itay/Documents/Updater5/%D7%94%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%97%D7%94%20%D7%A2%D7%9D%20%D7%A1%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%91%D7%99.doc
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

eslonim:

We are all aware of the issue. Have you looked at Bugzilla? Please be aware that the input sought in Bugzilla is not the "me too" input, but specific, unique examples of reproducing the problem or ways to resolve it.
kelly31

Re: Where is my "Temporary Directory"?

Post by kelly31 »

i also have this problem...every time i send an email with an attachment file it always says
sending message failed....

Sending of message failed.
Unable to open the temporary file C:\Documents and Settings\ .......\Desktop\[filename]. Check your "Temporary Directory" setting.

can someone help me on this
kelly31

Re: Where is my "Temporary Directory"?

Post by kelly31 »

Anonymous wrote:i also have this problem...every time i send an email with an attachment file it always says

Unable to open the temporary file C:\Documents and Settings\ .......\Desktop\[filename]. Check your "Temporary Directory" setting.

i also have this problem...every time i send an email with an attachment file it always says