Signature Separators, the definitive thread (V. 2.0.0.6)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
oukourj

Signature Separators, the definitive thread (V. 2.0.0.6)

Post by oukourj »

Hi!
I'll make it quick:

Is there ANY way to make Thunderbird NOT to write the signature separator ("-- ") before the signature, assuming we use the signature feature [Tools --> Accounts Settings --> etc.]?

If the answer is NO:

How would you do to make this happen, if you would HAVE TO use thunderbird?

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Alex.

PS: I read the reason why this separator exists. I respect it. But as I made my boss decide to change from Outlook to Thunderbird, I can't really say him "Oh, that's because geeks don't care about superficial things, we can't do anything", you know... He does obviously care about it; that's the market, you know =)

Thanks ;)
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The Thunderbird Support forum here is a better place for "how to" questions like this.

Without the separator, you do not really have a signature, just some standard text. To write messages that include standard text, use a template. See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Message_templates

Be aware that other people who receive your messages might find that they behave strangely. The signature separator is a well established convention in Internet mail. It's not just a cosmetic preference.

You can also hack Thunderbird's code to remove the separator, but that's strictly for geeks ;)
Rod
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

If you set the identity to place the reply and the signature on top, you should not get the dashes.

Also, if your signature already contains the dashes, TB will not add more. That allows you to have text above and below the dashes. (Don't forget the space after the dashes.)
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Sorry, the first trick trick (reply & sig on top) only works for replies.

Including your own sig-dash in the middle or bottom of your signature file does work.
oukourj

Post by oukourj »

Hey thanks for your answers.

Maybe am I supposed to know the answer to my next question as I read separator's manifest... But:

Knowing that Outlook's signatures don't show (but maybe use, I don't know) those "-- ", why would MY mail behave strangely and not theirs?

Or do they behave strangely? ;)

Thanks.
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

oukourj wrote:Knowing that Outlook's signatures don't show (but maybe use, I don't know) those "-- ", why would MY mail behave strangely and not theirs?

Or do they behave strangely? ;)

It depends on what you consider strange. Outlook is not know for compliance with industry standards and conventions (TNEF, anyone?). I would consider Outlook to be behaving strangely.

Are the sig-dashes causing problems, or is it purely a cosmetic issue?
oukourj

Post by oukourj »

It is a pure cosmetic issue.
I think I'll be using templates, as proposed by Rod Whiteley.
4years-later

Re: Signature Separators, the definitive thread (V. 2.0.0.6)

Post by 4years-later »

For anyone stumbling onto this, here's a workaround that should suit anyone:

Set Thunderbird signature to:

... and this is the end of my wonderful letter!

Arthur Authorus

--
Phone: 555-12345
Call 24/7 for free horse manure!

Everything above the "-- " line works like a template, everything beyond is interpreted as the "real" signature.

Caution: Thunderbird might not recognize your typing of "-- ". In this case, copy the "-- " that was generated by Thunderbird and use it in your costumized signature.

Tested with Thunderbird 3.0.3
pepe2

Re: Signature Separators, the definitive thread (V. 2.0.0.6)

Post by pepe2 »

Awesome!
Combine it with this to fully integrate inside your message and separate it from real sig:

Code: Select all

</div>
<br />
Regards,
<br /><br />
Your name<br /><br />
<div class="moz-signature">
--
<br />

4years-later wrote:For anyone stumbling onto this, here's a workaround that should suit anyone:

Set Thunderbird signature to:

... and this is the end of my wonderful letter!

Arthur Authorus

--
Phone: 555-12345
Call 24/7 for free horse manure!

Everything above the "-- " line works like a template, everything beyond is interpreted as the "real" signature.

Caution: Thunderbird might not recognize your typing of "-- ". In this case, copy the "-- " that was generated by Thunderbird and use it in your costumized signature.

Tested with Thunderbird 3.0.3