4.2.0 Internal queuing error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
milepost43

4.2.0 Internal queuing error

Post by milepost43 »

I am starting to get this pop-up in about 1 out of 10 emails that I try to send. Have to keep resending till it goes.
Do I have a problem? thanks.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

This appears to be a server problem, maybe it's just overloaded. If you give some more information on the service provider (ISP) you are using, maybe somebody with the same ISP can double-check that.
milepost43

Post by milepost43 »

Would this be a Comcast server that I have my internet connection with?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If your e-mail address ends in @comcast.net, probably yes. I'm using a different provider, thus I'm unable to verify that, but maybe somebody else will.
novice55

Post by novice55 »

Help! I am having the same problem as mielpost43. But now all outgoing mail returns the following message "mail server responded 4.2.0 Internal queueing error. The mis spelling of queuing is in the error message. Is the error generated by Thunderbird? I also have comcast as my provider.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

novice55: Please read my response to milepost43, my guess is that it is some server issue. That's reconfirmed by you using Comcast cable as well, and that it coincides in time...
novice55

Post by novice55 »

I've checked with Comcast. Because I am able to send and receive mail on my Comcast.net web page, they say it is not a Comcast problem but a Thunderbird program problem and they don't support Thunderbird (only Outlook and Safari).
milepost43

Post by milepost43 »

When I get the 4.2.0 error message, if I keep hitting send it eventually goes. Usually within 2 or 3 times.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

novice55 wrote:I've checked with Comcast. Because I am able to send and receive mail on my Comcast.net web page
That's a different mechanism, which may bypass the SMTP server you are connecting to.
... and they don't support Thunderbird (only Outlook and Safari).
Yes, that's the usual excuse from providers, just be persistent. The 4.2.0 error code is coming from the server, but you can double-check against a different e-mail client to make sure it's not TB's fault.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_er ... ver_errors
novice55

Post by novice55 »

Thanks but the server errors there don't have anything for 420 error code. Does gmail count as an "email client" or does that term refer only to email program run on my computer. If so only program on my computer is Tbird and really don't want to go to the bother of downloading and setting up Outlook.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

An e-mail client is a program connecting to your account on an e-mail server using POP, IMAP, and the SMTP protocols. Outlook, Apple Mail, and Kmail are other examples for e-mail clients. Webmail is a service connecting to that account using the HTTP protocol, and which you access through a browser like Firefox or Safari.

The fact that 420 is not listed in the KB article doesn't imply that it cannot be generated by a server. Thunderbird is simply echoing back what it receives from the server as a response to the request to send your e-mail. This includes a number and a clear-text string. Since the string contains the word "Internal" and comes definitely from the server and not from Thunderbird, I'd strongly suspect the server being the culprit here.

Edit: Apple users are reporting the same issue, this might help you to argue with Comcast - http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=1235373
novice55

Post by novice55 »

As I posted under the topic "SMTP-unable to send out emails," the fix involves trying different ports and security settings as explained by posts from Gary and alanrf in that topic thread last night and this morning. It is a Comcast problem, but since Comcast doesn't support TBird, the only place to get support is here. Comcast just tells users to use the webmail or Outlook.

Many thanks to Gary and alanrf
mizzbellabella

Post by mizzbellabella »

I'm having the same problem, with the same error message, and I have also been unable to receive messages. Since I am able to send and receive via comcast. They really don't seem to care about Thunderbird, and I do not have the time or energy to go back and forth between everyone and each of these board. And, it is such a drag! I love T-Bird and it's where all of my emails are stored. I guess it's a sit and wait it out thing for now....
jonathan1724

4.2.0 errors

Post by jonathan1724 »

I've been having the same problem today (also use Comcast). Looking closely at the 4.2.0 error message pop-up, it's coming from McAfee, not from Thunderbird or Comcast (at least on my machine). It looks like it is being generated when McAfee scans the outgoing message, and the scan gets hung up. I've been noticing a lot of McAfee-generated problems impinging on Thunderbird over the last few months, so maybe this is another. I've sent McAfee a message about it, so hopefully they'll fix it. I hope this helps.
novice55

Re: 4.2.0 errors

Post by novice55 »

jonathan1724 wrote:I've been having the same problem today (also use Comcast). Looking closely at the 4.2.0 error message pop-up, it's coming from McAfee, not from Thunderbird or Comcast (at least on my machine). It looks like it is being generated when McAfee scans the outgoing message, and the scan gets hung up. I've been noticing a lot of McAfee-generated problems impinging on Thunderbird over the last few months, so maybe this is another. I've sent McAfee a message about it, so hopefully they'll fix it. I hope this helps.

If you look at the McAfee log you'll see that the error message is from Comcast. I turned off McAfee scan of outgoing email to be sure. However, save yourself a lot of time and check the boards at Comcast under email and then look for 4.2.0 Internal Queuing Error. The moderators on that board are as good as the customer service on the phone at Comcast is bad. Comcast has been migrating to new servers. They think they have fixed the problem at all ports. But if you still experience issues report it to them there and you should get a prompt reply.
http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsuppor ... board.id=2