MozillaZine

Run filters on subfolders?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zirconx

Post Posted December 4th, 2007, 5:10 pm

I recently switched from POP to IMAP with server side filters. Unfortunately my server side filters are not as powerful as Thunderbirds, so I still need a few client side filters.

There are a couple folders that when I have mail filtered into, I want that mail to be marked as read right away. I don't want a popup in the corner of my monitor telling me about the mail, and I don't want the mailbox to be bold and show (N) unread messages in there. This all worked great before, as thunderbird has a filter option to 'mark as read'. (Outlook doesn't have this BTW, its a great feature).

But now my server side filter moves the mail into the appropriate filter, but I still want Thunderbird to mark mail in that folder as read. So I created a filter that says when messages are to X (which is what the server side filter uses to move messages into that folder) then mark it as read. But it doesn't work, because I think the filters only run on the Inbox. When I manually run the filter there is an option to point it to a specific folder, and it works fine when I point it at that folder - so the filter itself is ok.

Any ideas? Can I somehow tell Thunderbird to run the filter on a given folder, not just the inbox?

Thanks for any help.

DanRaisch

Post Posted December 4th, 2007, 9:08 pm

As you have seen, Thunderbird filters only run automatically on the Inbox. There is no automatic filtering functionality beyond that.

JerryLerman

Post Posted May 6th, 2012, 2:30 pm

And 5 years later this annoying limitation is still there. WTF?

Come on guys, what good is a message filter system that can only be applied to a small subset of email? Nobody at Mozilla apparently uses this feature or it would have been reworked to be useful by now.

I guess I still must wait... ](*,)

Anyone know of an extension that overcomes this?

anotheRedherring

Post Posted June 7th, 2012, 7:34 am

focvo

Post Posted June 7th, 2012, 7:51 am

filter the mail to the correct folder the first time

Return to Thunderbird Support