Thunderbird incoming message headers missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
nrcbtm1

Thunderbird incoming message headers missing

Post by nrcbtm1 »

After one of the recent automatic install Thunderbird updates (2.0.0.8, I think), the headers on my incoming messages no longer appear when I open a message. It doesn't matter if I choose "normal" or "all" headers in the View menu, nothing shows. If I select "message source" from the View menu, I get what looks like the full (all) header for the message. If I click on "forward message" I get to see the normal header of the original message because it shows up in the message text under the "Original Message" line. So I am getting the information, it just doesn't display when reading a message.

I am now using Thunderbird version 2.0.0.9.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Could it be something in the Thunderbird>Options>Advanced>General>Configuration Editor that needs changing?
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Either the mailbox or the summary file (index) may be corrupt.
Back up your profile, and delete the files with extension MSF. When you start Thunderbird, it will rebuild all the index files, which may clear up the problem.
Try compacting the folders.

If you still have problems, go to the account folder, delete 'INBOX.msf', and rename INBOX to something else, like "Old Mail". When you restart Thunderbird, it will recreate the Inbox. That may fix the problem for new mail.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Actually, there is an extension that's causing this. I can't remember the name, but "header" is included in it.
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

View Headers Toggle

I still can't figure out why it does this sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

That's it.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

And just to be sure we're covering all the bases...

In your message display, is there a little [+] box to the left of the Subject? If so that means the displayed headers have been collapsed. To expand the headers, click the [+].
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
nrcbtm1

Thunderbird Headers

Post by nrcbtm1 »

Thanks everyone for your help. Daifne , your suggestion that I check what extensions I had solved the problem. I uninstalled the extension I had for displaying headers (it was not the one you mentioned) and that fixed it. I can still "toggle" the header display of a message using the "header" option of a message's View menu. :D I had forgotten that I had installed a headers extension. :oops:
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

:-)

I have 38 extensions at the moment. Forget which ones? You bet.

You're very welcome.
KL801

Re: Thunderbird incoming message headers missing

Post by KL801 »

I'm a newbie, and I've had this problem since the second or third day I started using Thunderbird. Thank you so much! I uninstalled everything that might even conceivably have had to do with the headers, and the problem is solved!
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird incoming message headers missing

Post by LIMPET235 »

That's good news.
Now locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)