Thunderbird's extensions.ini file disables System Restore

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
weezecat

Thunderbird's extensions.ini file disables System Restore

Post by weezecat »

I have been struggling with Windows XP Home edition's System Restore being disabled from creating System Checkpoints automatically. The error message indicated by "sr" in the Event Viewer is "The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000000D' while processing the file 'extensions.ini' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume." The only extension.ini files on my Harddisk are those in the profiles directory of Thunderbird and Firefox and this only happens when Thunderbird is running continuously and Firefox is not, so therefore I presume Firefox's extensions.ini file is not loaded or in use.

It appears that Thunderbird's (version 2.0.0.9) extensions.ini file in the profiles directory is the cause of this behaviour, but turning off and turning System Restore back on (which is Microsoft's remedy for this error) does not restore the creation of these automatic check points. I can however create restore points manually and installing Microsoft updates and other programs will also create restore points.

I have deleted the files extensions.ini, extensions.cache and extensions.rdf in the profiles directory of Thunderbird and allowed them to be re-created but the problem has not gone away. When the System Restore gets disabled then all of my System Checkpoints are deleted so there is nothing to fall back on if an error should occur and I need to restore an earlier configuration.

Microsoft has a Hotfix for this particular error message which I downloaded and installed, but it doesn't help and System Restore is still not creating automatic System Checkpoints. I have now resorted to using a visual basic script file run by the Task Scheduler to create a daily automatic restore point.

Please can anybody help or tell me why extensions.ini could be causing this problem?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

If this problem is really being caused by "Firefox" it would be a problem in the profile data, not the application.

Create a new profile to see if that resolves the problem -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

and

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
weezecat

Post by weezecat »

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not so sure that it is Firefox causing the problem as the last time this "sr" error with extensions.ini occurred was, according to the Event Viewer, at the same time that I was starting Thunderbird and TB was indicating that there was an extension update which I had told it to install. I was unaware that SR was trying to create a System Checkpoint until I looked and found the time had coincided and that my last 3 days of System Checkpoints had been deleted. I should mention that Firefox was NOT loaded and running at this time.

Perhaps I should create a new TB profile? Is there a similar procedure for this as there is with FF?
David Baker
Windows 10 Pro, FF 121, TB 115.7.0
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is, but the move to the new profile is a bit more complicated as you are moving message files along with settings.

See this link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
weezecat

Post by weezecat »

Thank you for the info Dan. As you say, it is rather complicated and I think I'll just let things run for a while with auto updates disabled and see whether I get a repeat performance! If so, then I'll consider making a new TB profile.
David Baker
Windows 10 Pro, FF 121, TB 115.7.0
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and good luck.