Thunderbird filtering

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cleaner

Thunderbird filtering

Post by cleaner »

Hi,

I'm using Thunderbird 0.5 (20040207) and am trying to move from Outlook Express to Thunderbird for all my mail.

However I miss some filters I had in Outlook as Rules, since I have multiple mail aliases on my account I don't want mail from all aliases to be downloaded from the mail server to my mail client. In Outlook Express I used a rule like this: 'If to containes <mail adres> do not download message from server'.
This way I could share my account with other people using different aliases. Does somebody know if this is possible with thunderbird? I looked at the filters but couldn't find the option to keep filtered messages on the mail server.

TIA,
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're out of luck. One workaround would be to use a IMAP email provider that supports server side scripting instead of your ISP for email. Server side scripting should have no problem doing that.

However, if your goal is to share an account with other folks without reading each others email, why don't you just use messages filters to copy each persons email to a different folder in local folders? Then read your folder, rather than inbox, to get your new email. It won't prevent somebody from snooping, but should make it more convenient to share an account.

You should read http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... ities.html
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

I think I'll have a look into the server side scripting solution and maybe I should consider running my own mail server.

My goal is to share an account with multiple people, but all with their own machine, the folder solution won't work in this situation. So I think having my own mailserver should be the best solution. (or to go back to Outlook Express which I don't want.) ;-)

Thx for your reply!
jeffson

Post by jeffson »

cleaner wrote:I think I'll have a look into the server side scripting solution and maybe I should consider running my own mail server.

My goal is to share an account with multiple people, but all with their own machine, the folder solution won't work in this situation. So I think having my own mailserver should be the best solution. (or to go back to Outlook Express which I don't want.) ;-)

Thx for your reply!
There is a great free (or $60 upgrade for latest revision) software package called OfficeMail available, that runs on almost any network protocol and provides email server functions on your local LAN using a single LAN connected PC running win-9x or win-xp, linux or mac. OfficeMail will work with dialup or broadband internet connections ....
OfficeMail will automatically download email from one or more email boxes located on one or more ISP locations and save it on your local LAN PC, with passwrod protected access using almost anyemail software client on each user computer connected on your LAN. See the following location for the software.

www.burrotech.com

we use it on our 50 user novell 6.0 network and it's fantastic

Post by Guest »

Thx!
I'll give that the product a try for now. It's really anoying receiving all the mail from others everyday so I must do something about it.

Later I'll play a little with sendmail to see if it can also the functionallity I need.