User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Since upgrading to 2.09 I have been experiencing random lockups with Thunderbird. I can just be browsing existing mail, or in the process of composing mail when it locks up for 5-10 seconds becoming completely unresponsive. I have discovered that if I close Trend Micro's Officescan my problems go away but again this started immediately following the 2.09 which leads me to believe that it is something that changed within Thunderbird to enhance/cause these issues. I already have my thunderbird profile ignored by Office scan but this doesn't seem to have helped things out at all
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32bit
OfficeScan 8.0 Engine 8.550.1001
I have already compacted folders and deleted MSF files to see if this would help and it did not.
Since the issue goes away when Office Scan is shut down it sounds like an issue with Office Scan, or at least with Office Scan's ability to work with Thunderbird. Have you raised this issue with Trend Micro?
No I have yet to contact Trend since everything was fine before 2.09 so I wanted to check here to see if anyone else was having weird issues such as this. That and dealing with a big corp company like Trend has little chance of leading me anywhere helpful going by my past experience dealing with support.
I just sent off an email to Trend to see where that leads me.. If you have any additional suggestions I'd love to hear em' otherwise I will report back with what Trend has to say on the issue.
At a guess there may be another setting in Office Scan that needs to be tweaked to make it work properly with Thunderbird (and possibly other email clients as well).
There really are not many settings within Officescan as it is a fairly simple AV engine designed for the business environment.. So doesn't have a lot of the extra stupid fluff you find in home user AV software..
So far the only response I have received said that their OUTLOOK mail scan does not support anything but Outlook. I basically replied with a smart ass response pointing out that of course the outlook mail scan won't work with thunderbird, and restated that the issue is with the general real time scanner running in the back ground.
So I started some more trouble shooting, monitoring the real time scanner while I poked around in Thunderbird until it froze on me to try to determine what file was being scanned at the time of the freeze up.. At one point it appeared like the fonts folder, then the Thunderbird program folder, after ignoring both of those and still seeing the issues I then noticed a temp file. In the temp folder under my user profile it seems to lockup when creating tmprules-####.dat Setting to ignore the temp folder is not a very good choice, and doing some google searches appears that these files are being created by thunderbird.. What are these doing and how can I stop it?
Contents of all the different #### files is as follows.
So I found the Thunderbird beta but I did not install it. Not wanting to use beta for my email unless I must.. Instead I cleared out my Temp folder of all those files(thousands and thousands) that Thunderbird was creating and that cleared up my issues.
And it looks like these random files being created should be fixed in an upcoming release.
I've had this issue for quite a while since about a year ago when I updated Trend Micro to the 2007 version.
I'm currently running Trend Micro, Program version 16.05.1039, Engine version 8.550.1001 with Pattern version 5.163.50.
I'm also running TB 126.96.36.199
Thunderbird appears to lock up about every 5 min or so when I'm writing or responding to an email. This happens to be the interval in which I check for new email on two of four POP email accounts. I have found that when I shutdown Trend Micro, TB no longer hangs at all.
Prior to the upgrade of Trend Micro, I had never had an issue with TB locking up. It appears that there is some interaction with Trend Micro and TB. Although the large number of temp*.dat files may be an issue, it appears from my perspective that the issue is with Trend Micro locking up some resource that I've not been able to determine yet.
I'm still looking for a solution to this issue... My hope is that the 2008 version of Trend Micro may have fixed this issue.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests