Thunderbird hangs up periodically on Windows Vista

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

It took me three installs to get Vista working right on this machine. Unfortunately, this is normal from what I've seen. Sigh.

You're very welcome.
telematiker
Location: Germany, next to the northernmost Slavonian settlement aka "Starigard"

Post by telematiker »

Hi, as I have promised, here my experiences since the last 3 weeks:
Thunderbird runs fine, even though Firefox and Sunbird. It seems - as Daifne mentioned before - to be the poor OEM installation of Vista, after a clean new installation without all this silly stuff the system is really faster, more stable and - most important, all Mozilla Apps. run very well!

As a result of this very interesting dicussion let's say: Got new hardware with Vista and a lot of unnecessary stuff installed: Put your Vista - DVD in the drive and have a setup from scratch. It's for your own convenience and will save a lot of grey hairs ;-)

Kind regards and thanks for your great support!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.

And mine was a retail disk that wasn't pre-bundled on this machine... ;-)
juhajpl

Post by juhajpl »

jgrobertson wrote:I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 and run it on Vista Ultimate 64. What I see is that while it is getting messages, it freezes the session, and displays the "not responding" message in the frame. During this time the keyboard and mouse don't work.

I have about 18 email accounts and I had them all set to check mail every 10 minutes. It was frozen most of the time. Now I only have it retrieve messages and that helps but this problem should not exist.

I have seen many many posts about this over the last few months and nothing I have seen noting being done.

I had TB 2.0.0.X working with my 32-bit Vista. Then it was also "not responding" every time it checked the mailbox.
I found out that some music synth applications had changed vistas SystemProperties - Advanced - Performance Options - Advanced - Processor Scheduling to Background services! Default is
Programs. I changed it back to Programs and voila, TB was responding nicely again!

BR, Juha Laaksonen
JJJJohnson

Re: Thunderbird hangs up periodically on Windows Vista

Post by JJJJohnson »

I get this all the time. All that crap about new profiles, compresion and whatever doesn't work (been there, done that, it gets suggested all the time, it doesn't change anything). Simple fact: I have two machines both running the same profiles (Vista home and XP at work). Vista machine stops responding and freezes all the time. It's really great when I'm typing an e-mail and the thing's just frozen on me. The XP machine? No problems. Ever. It's clearly an issue between Thunderbird and Vista.

Yeah yeah, new thread yadda yadda. Google brought this same thread up again and still no solutions.
Daifne

Re: Thunderbird hangs up periodically on Windows Vista

Post by Daifne »

Locking.