How to disable an email account in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
recover.pp

Re: How to disable an email account in Thunderbird

Post by recover.pp »

defer_get_new_mail only exist for pop3 account.
How to disable IMap account?
all above can't used for IMap account.
edit "mail.accountmanager.accounts" may be a good idea, but is too Complex for everyday.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How about unsubscribing to all of the folders of that IMAP account?
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

@recover.pp: Editing mail.accountmanager.accounts is really simple and a matter of seconds if done via about:config. I have done it often and am very pleased with the clean result. For someone able to create an add-on it should be easy to automate it. So if anyone feels like creating one, please share it with us. :-)
another_random_user

Post by another_random_user »

kriegaex wrote:@recover.pp: Editing mail.accountmanager.accounts is really simple and a matter of seconds if done via about:config. I have done it often and am very pleased with the clean result. For someone able to create an add-on it should be easy to automate it. So if anyone feels like creating one, please share it with us. :-)

This worked for me in Thunderbird 3.1.11. I first entered filter for "account" and then checked which server is connected with account numbe. In the list mailbox names in spamActionTargetAccount are connected with server/account number, which makes identifying accounts reasonably easy.
suffering athenian

Post by suffering athenian »

PLEASE please please is there maybe an add on for that or another simple easy way

(check - activate - uncheck deactivate accounts! )

i am manager of website and thunderbird is amazingly fast when having to check all accounts every once and a while
to delete things and organize

but i can t have them all active on my daily use!!

main issue is the attachment issue on all of them cause one of them is a publishing account and gets attachments that block ALL the thunderbird programm when downloading new big size messages which takes forever ! .
Nelik

Post by Nelik »

mer0090 wrote:Hi,

I found a trick to avoid checking email for an account. Just delete the password (give return with no typing in the password field when checking the email). After one error message the next times you check globally the email the account is ignored.

great, you brilliantly solved my problem :)

you blank the password the first time, then all subsequent times you try to download emails by clicking "download all new messages" will ignore the "disabled" account

To get it back checking email, it's enough to click on "disabled" account and click explicitly on its own download emails button

thanks,

regards,

Nelik
plarne

Post by plarne »

Lots of workarounds. But still no feature I guess ?
Furthermore in Thunderbird 12.0.1 I can't access what seems to be the most elegant workaround: through about:config. Did I misunderstand something ?
kriegaex

Post by kriegaex »

@plarne: I have not used this since the days of TB 3.x and just did a quick test in TB 12. I created a new account, deactivated it via my own about:config approach. It worked. Then I reactivated it, and tadaa - the account reappeared. So the general approach still seems to work. What exactly did not work in your environment?
paulo.arras

Post by paulo.arras »

kriegaex wrote:@plarne: I have not used this since the days of TB 3.x and just did a quick test in TB 12. I created a new account, deactivated it via my own about:config approach. It worked. Then I reactivated it, and tadaa - the account reappeared. So the general approach still seems to work. What exactly did not work in your environment?

This method broke the unified folders for me!
troglo

Post by troglo »

In my case, to avoid sending emails from the Accounts I´ll like to disable (but I can´t) I created a fake SMTP server without data and select this SMTP server for this Account, so when sending an email it´ll give an authentification error.
If I need to send an email from this Account, I select the right SMTP server and later change back to the fake SMTP server
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for nine months.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts. In the future, please check the date of posts before replying to them.