Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
klades

Re: Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

Post by klades »

Hello to everybody (as usual a special greeting to Dafne).
First of all, sorry if I've not answered to a message, I am receiving lots of emails about extensions and I am not able to reply to everybody...

About the issue of this thread: if I've understood well, the problem is basically to import eml files in recursive mode from nested folders, right? This could be done, but the real problem is to keep the structure and replicate it in Thunderbird. Since it's not the first time someone asks for it, I'll think about it, even if I think it requires a lot of work.

A note: my extension is not designed specifically to migrate from/to windows (live) mail, its first aim is make easier importing/exporting from Thunderbird to Thunderbird. Migrate from/to another program is a more complex task and besides, you must consider that usually I don't use windows (live) mail and I don't know at all the program. All I can do is to try to see if I can add the possibility to import multiple eml files in recursive mode, keeping the structure. Of course it requires some time and I must find it...

Ciao, Paolo
DDL1234

Post by DDL1234 »

klades wrote:Hello to everybody (as usual a special greeting to Dafne).
First of all, sorry if I've not answered to a message, I am receiving lots of emails about extensions and I am not able to reply to everybody...

About the issue of this thread: if I've understood well, the problem is basically to import eml files in recursive mode from nested folders, right? This could be done, but the real problem is to keep the structure and replicate it in Thunderbird. Since it's not the first time someone asks for it, I'll think about it, even if I think it requires a lot of work.

A note: my extension is not designed specifically to migrate from/to windows (live) mail, its first aim is make easier importing/exporting from Thunderbird to Thunderbird. Migrate from/to another program is a more complex task and besides, you must consider that usually I don't use windows (live) mail and I don't know at all the program. All I can do is to try to see if I can add the possibility to import multiple eml files in recursive mode, keeping the structure. Of course it requires some time and I must find it...

Ciao, Paolo
Understand, as you can guess I have installed ImportExportTools(Mboximport.enhanced) but it won't handle a structure of folders.. I await your deliberations .....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for responding, Paolo. I think we all understand that extension coding must be a "free time" endeavor and appreciate your willingness to consider this request.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Hi Paolo! :-)

Thanks for checking in on this. If you can do it, it would be wonderful.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

If you can find a solution that would be fantastic. End users like me would certainly appreciate it.

klades wrote:Hello to everybody (as usual a special greeting to Dafne).

Ciao, Paolo
klades

Post by klades »

Hello to everybody.
It's out 2.0 version of ImportExportTools, that should be able to import EML from directory and subdirectories keeping the structure.
The extension has new better routines for all EML import/export options.
I'd like to have feedback about it, I hope there is no major bugs.
Ciao, Paolo
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Bravo, Paolo. E molti ringraziamenti.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

I tried to download it and I couldn't. I click and it says "right click and save as target" but that is not a option with my right click. Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The context menu entry you need is "Save link as".
faithdusk

Post by faithdusk »

Hello I'm Faith. I came to this page looking for the same thing. This is my outcome.
I use thunderbird portable in a pendrive, and in my work machine I use windows live mail last version with windows xp.
I downloaded the tool you said, also I exported all my windows live mails to a folder in my desktop called mails.
Then I went to my thunderbird and installed the plugin, also my thunderbird was outdated and it get an update.
When I went to tools I selected the plugin import option and asked for a folder, and to retrieve the mails from the sottofolder(in italian) subfolders.
I put okay and then all my folders started to appear in the thunderbird. All the emails are imported now.
Thank you very much for the solution Daifne. :)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.
OMA

Post by OMA »

What?! So the original poster finally gets what he wanted and he doesn't even say thanks?

Anyway, I'm glad you listened to him and added the recursive eml import. It has allowed me to import all my messages from Windows Live Mail (most were also imported a year ago from Outlook Express), so I can finally leave that lousy program. WLM is mostly fine if you don't have a lot of mail, but if you have tons like I do (4 GB!) that app is sloooowwww, not only in start time, but just switching from folder to folder or even sometimes from a message to the next is painfully slow. Thunderbird is really snappy in comparison (using the 3.0 beta).

I only had a few minor issues: some messages don't have subject (in WLM they did) and some others have strange dates (1970 and future dates too). I'm not sure what's causing this, but it's only a few messages out of several hundred thousand, so it's ok.

Thank you for your work in this extension!!!
OMA
anmari

Post by anmari »

Thank you very much,
Installed thunderbird, installed the extension, clicked import folders and subdirectories and it loaded them all - yay! easiest import for decades.
Thank thank thank you!

Donation promptly sent. Good work definitely deserves rewarding regularly!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The thanks for the extension goes entirely to Paolo. It's an excellent bit of work and a blessing to the Thunderbird user community. Since I don't know if he'll still be monitoring this thread, let me say "You're welcome" on his behalf.
KJShaw

Post by KJShaw »

Hi, all,

I'm new here, so excuse me if I'm redundant.

Has the ImportExportTool been ported to Linux?

thanks!