Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

So it is working.

This is the way the extension is designed to work right now. In your operating system, a directory is a folder. This is the same definition that the extension uses in the case of .eml files. For mbox files, the file format Thunderbird uses, there is an option to import a folder with all it's subfolders. Maybe the author would be willing to add this for .eml files. He is very nice and helpful. It may take him a while to do it though.

As for the dates, I've never seen that before with this. I would do this. The .msf files may have gotten corrupted with all this messing around. the "building summary file" tells me that this is probably it:

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The extension provides for importing from one directory at a time. As Daifne noted above, this is not an intentional design for importing from Windows Mail to Thunderbird, because of the difference in release dates of the two application, but is a work around that can address the need until a new version of Thunderbird provides alternative methods. It may not be as simple as you would like but it works.

As for the problem with sending and receiving, have you looked to see if your firewall (if active) is blocking Thunderbird?

Post by Guest »

Are people confusing Windows Mail (new OE) or Windows Live Mail (new hotmail) in this thread
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

Windows Live Mail comes with Vista and has replaced Outlook Express (a mistake as far as I am concerned). Microsoft has again taken away from the end user. Multiple accounts were so easy with Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail is a nightmare for multiple accounts (creating zillions of in boxes)

So I gather from what has been said there is NO import that imports all emails and you would have to painstakingly try to locate each folder and import it. That would be impossible for me to do. Kinda wish that had been said at the start of this thread, would have saved me the headache of trying to make something work that never would. There are a dozen folders with TONS of sub folders, so I guess I'm stuck with crappy Windows Live Mail until Thunderbird can handle import all email.

Not sure what you mean by messing around to corrupt the folders, I simply tried to import from the top level and it didn't work, so there really wasn't any messing around.

And the send and receive still aren't working either.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Can you merge messages from multiple Win Live Mail (what a dumb name, was Outlook Express Dead Mail?) folders into one or more group folders to make it easier to import?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Windows Live Mail is the new name for Hotmail and MSN. Windows Mail is the program in Vista.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

Well don't know what to tell you, my laptop when purchased had Windows Live Mail installed according to MS it has replaces Windows Mail. I do NOT have Hotmail or MSN.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

DanRaisch wrote:Can you merge messages from multiple Win Live Mail (what a dumb name, was Outlook Express Dead Mail?) folders into one or more group folders to make it easier to import?

Looking at the folders here are a few of the top level names: Backup Contant jsybalsky microsoft communities proof sentinel storage. Then there is a bunch of folders with my domain name with numbers after it example blah 6e0 blah 8f1 and so forth, then there is your feeds, following that is some individual files: text documents jrs file, pat file sqm file a xml document and the list goes on and on. I would have no clue which would be the ones to merge for the import.

I read that Windows Live Mail is called Microsoft Windows Mail 7 format.
robfernandez

Re: Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

Post by robfernandez »

This is amazing. I'm having exactly the same problem and have been following and doing everything being advised and am getting the same (read Unsuccessful) results.
It looks like I'm going to have to live with Live Mail until Thunderbird comes out with a fix.
Rob
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A fix for what? The extension noted above provides a way to import message data from Windows Live Mail.
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

Windows Live Mail (the Vista program that replaced Windows Mail not to be confused with MSN or Hotmail) the information posted on this page does NOT import all of your email all at once to Thunderbird for Windows Live Mail. As I stated back in April there is no way to figure out which directories etc to import one at a time, let alone the time it would take. I have over 33,000 emails I'd like to import all at once just like we did to get the email from Outlook to WLM. Oh yeah and I still can't send email from WLM.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, that last problem is clearly one to be addressed with MS.

As for the import issue, as noted previously, Thunderbird 2.0 was released before Vista was available so there was no way to incorporate an import function in the basic system. Have you written to the author of the ImportExportTools program to ask if there is any likelihood of his updating the tool to deal with your problem?
jsybalsky

Post by jsybalsky »

You know we went through all this last April and MS never fixes anything or deals with anything. And never got any answer from the author. I am ready to uninstall Vista and return to XP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

LOL. That's why I'm still running XP on both of my systems!

It's unusual for Klades to fail to respond to a request, whether to affirm the intent to update or to tell the requester it can't or won't be done. Did you follow up with a second message?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I think Klades told another user that he wasn't going to or wasn't able to add this to the extension. The suggestion was to look for a bug report and push to have Mail importing added to TB version 3.0. It doesn't look like the developers have been going in this direction either. Maybe because MS keeps changing it?