unable to send emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SK.

Post by SK. »

chris44:

No one around here "are Thunderbird." We are a support forum entirely unrelated to the folks at Mozilla (www.mozilla.com) who produce Thunderbird (and Firefox and other applications). I have an AT&T/SBC account and I am not aware of any "security upgrade" recently undergone by AT&T. If you have spoken with an AT&T technician who mentioned that, I would question his/her information because a "security upgrade" will not be able to prevent any particular e-mail client from functioning. It's just not possible, given the way POP e-mail clients work. Servers don't care which client is used, they only care if you are properly authenticated.

When you state "ATT did register my .com and .org accounts in my @pacbell account," that suggests to me that you have a completely different problem than that discussed in this thread. Please open a new thread to discuss your problem. Please explain in as much detail as you can what you mean by "my .com and .org accounts in my @pacbell account." Those pieces of information will be absolutely critical to solving your problem.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
chris44

Post by chris44 »

I will just go quietly into the night [-(
SK.

Post by SK. »

:shrug:
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
bob lanier

can't send email with mozilla

Post by bob lanier »

Had same issues here in Texas as previous posters. Talked with att for hours - changed and reset passwords - ports have been changed to 465 - In the end, the ATT person implied it was Mozilla issue - they haved changed anything. It makes you feel so powerless - wait until you get National Health- working with ATT is good preparation
robertbb

Thunderbird not sending email

Post by robertbb »

For what it is worth, the paws10 solution worked perfectly for me: I changed the server name and changed my password to my sbcglobal password, just as paws10 described, and my email is sending again. It took about 30 seconds.

Before I stumbled on to this discussion group, I had found another proposed solution on the internet that was supposed to come from ATT. but it was so long and so complicated and changed so many settings that I did not trust it. I'm really happy I did not go with it.

My problem started out of the blue Wednesday morning, April 30, 2008, after years with no problems. I live in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks paws10!
paws10

Post by paws10 »

robertbb,
I live in the SF Bay Area also and I lost the ability to send emails a week before you did. I'm glad the settings worked for you.
Kuruhyoo

T-Bird Solution for AT&T users (hopefully)

Post by Kuruhyoo »

For people having the "Mail server doesn't support secure authentication" problem in T-Bird, the following information may be of assistance. It appears that AT&T's servers aren't correctly interpreting SSL headers incoming from T-Bird. The solution is stupid, but it seems to work. Basically, follow the settings that have been described by others in this same thread, but be absolutely sure that you uncheck the box labeled "Use secure authentication" under the outgoing security settings box. Go ahead and check the SSL box and make sure the port number is set to 995. I'm assuming that checking the "Use secure authentication box itself is initiating a handshake with AT&T's servers that they, for whatever reason, aren't recognizing. Even though they are set for secure authentication, they throw an error message if you set the aforementioned control. Go figure...gotta' love the service provided by AT&T. Now if only they provided IMAP access...
Daethian

Post by Daethian »

In the same boat here, trying to set Thunderbird up for a friend. I've read the thread and tried the options. I had the settings right, as I followed them from yahoo's website. That isn't working so I tried the smtpauth.sbcglobal.net and Thunderbird tells me to enter a valid hostname and won't accept this server name. This person is not a pacbell user. Any other ideas??
skiteach

Post by skiteach »

Looks like the issue has hit the right coast! Been using Tbird for several years with no problems and AT&T struck. My main address and 2 subs no longer work. Have spent 2 days attempting all the suggestions that you left coasters are suggesting. Our info was to set incoming to pop.att.yahoo.com port995 and smpt.att.yahoo.com port465 (just like everyone else). All that happens is that server times out or a popup opens that won't accept any password known to mankind. I have deleted Tbird 2x, of course this means all contacts as well. Att gave me the Company line. I'm frustrated enough to can the whole landline dsl, except I need to keep my @snet.net email address for work etc.
Glad my skis aren't involved!
WURVEN

Re: unable to send emails

Post by WURVEN »

PAW10. I've worked on this for months. Thanks a millioin.
Network Geek

Post by Network Geek »

I posted in the other thread I found about this issue also, but thought that I'd update here, too.

I finally got my Thunderbird to work by turning off outbound e-mail scanning in my antivirus program. In my case, it was McAfee. After doing that, I used my regular smtp.sbcglobal.net settings and all was well.

Good luck!
And, yes, for those of you who noticed the time stamp on this, I was up at 1:30AM because the solution to my e-mail problem that AT&T couldn't solve suddenly occurred to me and I couldn't wait until morning.
Why? Google "network geek"
It's what I do.
It's who I am.
It is my curse.
aaahobby

Post by aaahobby »

Guess what?

Now the same thing is hitting Bellsouth customers!
I have tried all of the previously suggested changes, but it gets stuck in a password loop.

A screen shot of my exact error message:

Of course, American Telephone & Terrorists wants me to pay $79.95 for their "Premium Support" but do not offer a money-back guarantee that their solution will work (I asked for that after reading several of the posts here)

I have tried to reset my servers to the att.yahoo.com extensions with and without security enabled. No luck at all. The problem started yesterday morning.

Has anybody here dealt with the problem on Bellsouth/ATT yet?

Thanks
aaahobby

Post by aaahobby »

A quick update....

While talking to a friend today, he suggested setting my SMTP port to zero.

It worked! Why, he doesn't know, but it works today.
tmarkoski

Post by tmarkoski »

I believe I have diagnosed the problem, at least in part.

It appears that ATT DSL customers using 2Wire Modems aren't allowed to use an additional router to connect to the modem.

I removed my LinkSys DSL router and connect my desktop straight to the 2Wire DSL modem and my SMTP SSL issues go away.

I'd love to know what ATT is doing with their network.
tmarkoski

Post by tmarkoski »

Well I've definitely nailed it down to something ATT did.
My LinkSys router has worked fine with SBC & ATT all of the sudden my connection are flaky and ATT SMTP isn't working?
It appears that ATT has changed the IP ranges assigned without telling anyone.
I caught all this when I noticed that my IP was completely different from what it originally was.

I hard reset the LinkSys router, configure it to duplicate the router settings (DHCP Login,IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS) of the 2Wire Modem (It's also a router) and everything works.

Go Figure.

It is DEFINITELY an ATT issue and NOT Thunderbird.

Any firewall needs to include entries for the IP/Subnet for the local adapter/router and the IP of the Modem.