unable to send emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
paws10

Post by paws10 »

I meant to say legacy. My son is the 'legend' for fixing my computer! ;)))
SK.

Post by SK. »

:)
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
mike713

unable to send emails

Post by mike713 »

PAWS10:

THANK YOU AND YOUR SON! Your settings worked.

Glad we could get this "legendary" user up and running.

Thanks also to the Forum members.
illmatic1

Post by illmatic1 »

I have been having the same problem, since AT&T changed their SMTP settings. What I do is keep pressing Send over and over until the email finally gets sent. It's really a minor inconvenience, it usually get sent after the 3rd try or so. I will try updating my settings to the ones given here.
illmatic1

Post by illmatic1 »

Yeah, the settings posted by PAWS10 worked for me also. Thanks for the post. Weird that it's completely different than the ones AT&T has listed on their website.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Keep those other settings handy. You will likely have to change to them eventually. I know that when I received my DSL account from AT&T last July, my e-mail address domain was provisioned by sbcglobal.net. Two months later my dad also ordered a DSL account from AT&T in the same area and his e-mail address domain was provisioned by att.net.
struwwelpeter

Finally!

Post by struwwelpeter »

After one pass at ATT support and hours of trying every variation of the new att/yahoo settings, I was deperate to try anything -- even calling ATT.

paws10, thank you and your son for getting those settings out of the phone support (and good for that person too). The setting worked for this legacy pacbell DSL subscriber, too! Heck, it worked so well, I even have it working with my non-pacbell address. Whew!

(Bookmarking this thread for future reference should ATT "upgrade" this particular smtp server.)
paws10

Post by paws10 »

I'm glad I/we were able to help those in similar situations. I called ATT 3x and spent hours on the phone with them. My son called once and got my computer working in a very short time! I don't know where all of you are from, (we live in CA), but we were one of the first to sign up for DSL with pacbell. My husband paid extra ($40/month for a long time) to have a dedicated IP address. Perhaps that is why we were never 'upgraded' to make this change work for us and had to have different settings when it was acquired by ATT. I'm too much of a novice to understand or try to explain why the recommended settings didn't work for us. I'm just happy there was a solution.

Thank you also for this forum. Believe me, after talking with ATT, I was not happy there wasn't a number that I could call for support from Thunderbird. But, I was pleased that the response on this forum was so quick and helpful and I'm glad we were able to help others with a solution.
chris44

the other thing - the att thing

Post by chris44 »

From 5 hours with ATT if you are using a non ATT mail account you have to register the "foreign" account with ATT. So none of this stuff here is sufficient without involving ATT - the creators of the problem of course this is my story after this from ATT.
So I paid the $69 for a one incident 5 day guaranteed fix. I'm in a fix - Thunderbird will not open - on opening the message is something - Thunderbird must close now.

The ATT tech set up two out bound servers in T-Bird - and yes all the usual server and port settings.
The Tech was logged onto my computer - at the end of the session my two commercial accounts and one att acount all could send e-mails - never did have a problem receiving mail. Tech tested & I tested - all looked good send and receive.

After I closed T-bird and restarted the "dead" T-bird problem occurred - and I mean dead - cannot start T-bird.

OK so we have a very large problem where ATT is making T-bird an unusable e-mail client. For those who cobbled together something that worked we need to identify the environment. One ATT e-mail, multiple ATT e-mails, one non ATT e-mail, multiple non (other hosted) e-mails.
Where is Mozilla on this issue - we all need a set up senario for each of the mentioned cases - and possibly others.
SK.

Post by SK. »

chris44:

In fact, you seem to have a different problem (Thunderbird won't start) than that discussed here (Thunderbird won't send). To avoid confusion, please start a new thread and include all pertinent information as asked for in this discussion. Thanks.
beowulfdoc

Still Cannot Send emails AGAIN

Post by beowulfdoc »

Ain't adding any smilies to this. (Don't know how anyway but....)

I read the whole thread with interest because I was having the same problems that Paws10 and, apparently others were. I had been fighting with it all day as had Donny. (Donny is the primary on our account with SBC)

Forget the SBC/ATT/Yahoo Customer NO Service. The ones we talked to seemed dumber than the playbooks they were reading from.

So I tried the suggested mod that worked for Paws10 (changing smtp to smtpauth) and bingo IT WORKED. Well last night after 15 hours of frustration.

This morning I signed on and GUESS WHAT? Now that does not work. grump, grump, grump..

I received the following error message:

Sending of message failed. ....mail & newsgroups account setting are correct.

So I checked and they were the same as worked last night. So I changed them to what they were before adding the "auth" and GOT:

5.7.0 authentication required

Which is the error message that I had yesterday morning when this problem started.

So I returned and replaced the "auth" that worked last night AND GOT:

enter your password for xxxx@sbcglobal.net on smtp.sbcglobal.net

So I entered the password that I use to sign onto My Account on the website and got:

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.sbcglobal.net failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

I HATE LEGAL BOILERPLATE blame the client excuses almost as much as playbook based Customer No Service... Okay griping over.

I can still receive emails. I can still connect to the internet, obviously, I can enter my SBC account. The day before yesterday there was no problem. Late last night, after doing the mod suggested, there was no problem. NOW there is.

HELP, (long pause) please!!! (My apologies to Henny Youngman)

john aka 3/4 Cav
beowulfdoc

Previous Post On This Topic

Post by beowulfdoc »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Now, how many minutes from the last post?......... The cotton picking thing is working again. Boy am I bumfuzzled by all this malarkey.....

My daughter sends me an "I love you, Dad" message. I respond with a "Thank you. Dad". The computer pops up with a password identification block so I put in the password for my account with SBC which has previously NOT worked....

Yep... it sent the message....

Why do these computers have to follow the "Shoot, Aim, Ready" Rule of cornfusion??? Sheesh and I thought gear/tooth ratio formula for pedal inches on a bicycle was hard to figure out....

I am going to knock on wood now in the hopes it stays okay.... Knock, Knock (literally, I have a wooden desk).

john aka 3/4 Cav
beowulfdoc

Same One as the Last Ones

Post by beowulfdoc »

And now it won't let me send again....

Same old excuse...

And, just now, (I went back to copy the error message and accidentally hit the send button) it sent the same message it had just refused to send.

Can anyone clue me in to what is going on? I feel like I am shooting craps with semi-loaded and shaved dice. This is real weird.

john aka 3/4 Cav
SK.

Post by SK. »

If you are seeing inconsistent results with sending, I seriously doubt Thunderbird is at fault. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, look at the following:

1. Your ISP. Are they having problems?
2. The SMTP server. Is it having problems?
3. Your Internet connection. Everything OK there?
chris44

It is ATT and there is more to my mesage than ....

Post by chris44 »

Moderator - I take it your are thunderbird.
If so please read my message again. My original problem was not being able to send because of ATT security upgrade.
ATT did register my .com and .org accounts in my @pacbell.net account and set T-bird up for the appropriate sent server and added a second send server and added my @pacbell.net account to by t-bird accounts. All did work - untill I restarted T-bird - then the fatal error on t-bird. I've paid for the ATT support and will go back there to attempt to figure out if I can debugg t-bird without a fresh install.

I'm adding my experience to this ATT security upgrade fiasco. Essentiallt ATT is putting T-bird out of business. Many of the confusions in solutions are because of the different senario's of set ups for t-bird - see previous.

Is T-bird in conversation with ATT to understand what is required by ATT.
Also to comply with the ATT security the incoming server does not need to be touched.
Thanks