unable to send emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SK.

Post by SK. »

If you have configured Thunderbird correctly - and it sounds like you have done so - the only other thing I can think of is that you are not providing the correct password, or you have provided the wrong password enough times to lock your account. I recommend calling AT&T again, no matter how painful that may be. I know, I've been there.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Just to be sure, do you have your user name entered as your full ATT/PacBell/SBC/whatever email address? Are you sure it's entered correctly?
paws10

Post by paws10 »

Now that I have changed the incoming settings, I cannot receive any email.
paws10

Post by paws10 »

Yes, I have entered the correct full email address. This happened the other day and again today.
paws10

Post by paws10 »

When I change the incoming settings and then try to retrieve email, I get a message that says
Alert: Mail server does not support secure authentication.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Then you don't have the settings exactly as SKopischke showed you. The POP (incoming) settings do NOT support secure authentication. That's for outgoing only. Uncheck that in Tools>Account Settings>*this account*>Server Settings
paws10

Post by paws10 »

Have made change and now I get:
Alert: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: invalid user/password.

Perhaps I need to call ATT again as suggested. Hope I"m getting closer to resolving this!.
Thank you again.
mike713

Unable to send email

Post by mike713 »

I am having the exact problem Paws10 is having. I've had no luck dealing with AT&T for hours. I've had them reset my password and it still didn't work. I put the new password in my router. I'm using Vista with Thunderbird 2.0.0.12. This problem started suddenly I believe on Wed or Thur. I can receive emails using my old Pacbell server address, but if I change it to the new ATT server I can't received mail.
I can't send emails using either their old Pacbell or new ATT servers. I can send and receive emails using AT@T's webmail. I have two other XP computers on my network, both use Thunderbird and also can't send emails via Thunderbird.
I will follow this thread for a possible solution.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I'm beginning to believe that ATT has messed up... again.
SK.

Post by SK. »

mike713:

Would you verify for us your settings in Tools | Account Settings | account | Server Settings, without disclosing your user name? Can you do the same for your Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings?
mike713

Unable to send email

Post by mike713 »

Server Settings

Doesn't work

SMTP SERVER - smtp.att.yahoo.com
Port - 465
Username = Username with or without @pacbell.net
Security & Auth:
Use name & Password checked
Username = username&pacbell.net
Use Secure Conn SSL button selected.

POP3 Incoming Server

works OK

postoffice.pacbell.net
Port - 110
Username = username WITHOUT @pacbell.net
Security settings
never button selected.

Doesn't work

pop.att.yahoo.com
port 995
username = username@pacbell.net or username without @pacbell.net

Use secure conn.
SSL button selected.
SK.

Post by SK. »

It looks to me as though your Pacific Bell account is in the same state as the old SBC accounts, ca a year or two ago. That is, your ISP is in transition to the new AT&T Yahoo servers. What are the instructions you have received from PacBell?
mike713

can't send emails

Post by mike713 »

After trying all sorts of settings and a few hours on the phone with AT&T they advised me to Call Mozilla and/or Linksys for my router or the option of paying for their top tier tech service. I figured I would try the Mozilla forums first. My experience with Pacbell has been if there was a problem, do nothing, don't change anything and eventually Pacbell would do something on their end and it would work. I see they are changing servers and hope it will possibly just start working soon. If it is a Thunderbird problem I hope it can be solved. I love Thunderbird and I would hate to have to stop using it.
paws10

Post by paws10 »

mike try this for your smtp settings

smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
username: (full email address)
port 25
secure connection: never

I found this to be my solution!

Also for my incoming pop3 I use:

postoffice.pacbell.net
port 110, secure connection: never

The above was written by my son who solved my problem after talking with ATT. I hope this works for you, too. Apparently, we are one of the original pacbell customers and have always had pacbell.net for email. ATT said something about us being legendary customers.

This is soooo different from the other instructions! Good luck!
SK.

Post by SK. »

"legendary customers...."

Probably legacy customers.