MozillaZine

Login to server failed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Larry McNurty

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 5:08 pm

I have been using IMAP to connect to our mail server at work and this has worked flawlessly all this while. As of late last week, I get "Login to server <server> failed". I know the user name and password are valid as I can access my mail via the Outlook web interface.

I spent the whole day tracking this down (even uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbird) but to no avail :(

My server settings are:

incoming IMAP: mail.<domain>
port: 993
SSL enabled

outgoing IMAP: mail.<domain>
port: 25
TLS enabled

Can somebody please help?

Daifne

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 5:32 pm

What firewall are you using?
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” ― Harlan Ellison
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Larry McNurty

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I'm trying this from my desktop at work (as before when it was working), so there is no firewall.

Daifne

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Then the server firewall may be blocking Thunderbird. For that, you need to get your IT department involved.
“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.” ― Harlan Ellison
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Larry McNurty

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Perhaps I am missing something? I am trying this out when I'm in the office ... so, shouldn't I be behind the firewall and therefore be unaffected by any changes to the firewall?

In any event, I will check with our IT folks tomorrow.

Daifne

Post Posted April 28th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Not if they changed a setting on the firewall or the firewall doesn't recognize TB for some other reason.

Return to Thunderbird Support