Tbird doesn't ask for SMTP password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
EastlightJim

Tbird doesn't ask for SMTP password

Post by EastlightJim »

Hi,

I've got multiple SMTP servers set up, some of which require a username and password. The one's without the password work fine but I can't get thunderbird to ask me for a password for the others.

In Account Settings --> Outgoing Server (SMTP) I have entered the correct server name, port and secure connection settings. I have also checked the "Username and Password" box and put in a username. When I send a message using that SMTP server thunderbird won't ask for a password and jsut returns an error message from the server saying that the password is incorrect.

I've searched all over and I can't find anything to help me on this one!

I'm using TB 0.5 (20040207) if that helps.

Jim
EastlightJim

Post by EastlightJim »

I've asked on FC and no-one there's got a clue so hoping someone here has
Jim
sinan

Post by sinan »

The FAQ on http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/ site shows the file to delete to get rid of the cached password.
ChamPro

Post by ChamPro »

I have the same problem. With a new install of Tbird and the only saved password being the IMAP server, sending mail through a seperate SMTP NEVER asks for a password. Is there some way I can get into the config files to manually insert it? I looked, but couldn't find the correct file.
sinan

Post by sinan »

Delete C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\RANDOM.slt\RANDOM.s
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You mentioned you're using multiple smtp servers. Did you use the advanced button to specify which ones to use with each account?

It sounds like you may actually be using a single smtp server (with no password required) for all of the accounts. If you want to use more than one smtp server you can not just enter the smtp server settings in the GUI for each account. It should work that way, but it doesn't. i.e. its ignoring some of your settings. You have to use the advanced button to assign smtp servers to accounts.

You may find http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/exten ... tpusername usefull.
ChamPro

Post by ChamPro »

That's a nice extension, but it doesn't help with trying to set a password for the SMTP server. Unfortunately editing that file containing the passwords in the Profile directory did not make Thunderbird act correctly.