thunderbird fails to install - mozMapi32.dll error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

thunderbird fails to install - mozMapi32.dll error

Post by Guest »

Hi

I'm trying to do a new install of thunderbird - the update just fails every time, but I get the following error

error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll

it has, of course trashed the existing version, so I have no email....

Vista home
PC
thunderbird version 2.0.0.1.6

any clues please!

cheers
steviex

Re: thunderbird fails to install - mozMapi32.dll error

Post by steviex »

Yes... Read this.... http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_opening_nmozMapi32.dll

Do you have a Logitech Webcam ? ... Disable it during Thunderbird Installation
A fault in the Webcam Software causes this problem....

EDIT...... Your Profile, which is where your mail is kept, is stored in a separate location to the core Thunderbird Program
This should be picked up by the new Install, once you have disabled your Webcam....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Post by Guest »

OK

tried to unistall the original version. this failed (as it was trashed by the update I assume) so I renamed the Mozilla Thunderbird folder in Program Files and re-ran the installer, and it worked.

all files / emails / attachments seem to be there. so all good. and yes, I backed it all up before I started this :D

cheers
steviex

Post by steviex »

No worries... Happy to help :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Post by Guest »

Had the same problem then read the bit about the logitech webcam- exited that and had no problem installing thunderbirf. Thank you!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

That's great. I had the same problem for a month couldn't work it out. I downloaded RegCure and attempted to restore performances. Now, the issue I have is to recover the old emails/folders I had in previous version of Thunderbird. Any ideas?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers