5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first??

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rsx11m

Re: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first??

Post by rsx11m »

SAJITHKUMAR G S wrote:I am trying to create a email application using php. I am getting my code working without any error,but the mail is not being sent. when i check the error log 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 20sm6691869pzk.11 ... smtp_server= smtp.gmail.com

The Gmail server likely refuses to be used as a relay rather than for submission services. Are you sending the mail to port 25 rather than 587? Also, Gmail's SMTP server will require authentication, and only accepts it after an STARTTLS has been issued to enter encrypted mode. I don't know how to configure this, but that's what you would need when using Gmail to submit your messages.

On the other hand: Since you are running your own SMTP server, why rely on Gmail? Unless your provider blocks port 25, you could just use its default configuration to relay the messages directly to the respective MX hosts registered in DNS, thus foregoing the need of using an "official" server. This does increase your spam score slightly though as many providers employ a service to identify servers used which don't match the provider of the e-mail address from which the message was sent.
babumather

Post by babumather »

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. l14sm3480870weq.11
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

babumather, please read the discussion on the previous pages. Make sure that you have STARTTLS enabled and that no anti-virus software is interfering by filtering the server's response in order to scan outgoing mail.
snhoj8215

Post by snhoj8215 »

Error transferring to smtp.state.wi.us; SMTP Protocol Returned a Permanent Error 530 #5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.

I have gone into tools>account settings>Outgoing Server SMTP
My Server setting is >smtp-server.wi.rr.com Port 25

What's my next step?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Set "Connection Security" to STARTTLS in that dialog. Also, verify that you are looking at the correct server. The names stated in the error message you receive and for which you look at the configuration are different.
Frankle

Post by Frankle »

I had this error and the above explanations also didn't quite work for me (I didn't see a list of servers), so here's how I would explain what worked for me just now ...

in Thunderbird, go to Tools, Account Settings, Outgoing Server (SMTP)
(at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)

then in the right box list of accounts, click on the one with the problem
e.g. hotmail or google, then Edit

in the popup box, beside Connection security: select STARTTLS, and OK

I wasn't using Avast since I removed it some time ago, but I seem to recall it asked to disable Thunderbird's checking so Avast could scan the emails. Now I've gotten rid of it, it became a problem, so I changed the above setting from SSL/TLS to STARTTLS and now it works !