multipart email not showing all parts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
r7

multipart email not showing all parts

Post by r7 »

hi all

have received an email that has a text and an html part. viewed in 2.0.0.16 i only see the text part [though if i look at the source the html part is there]. viewed using horde 3.0.12 webmail, the parts are displayed correctly.

so... how do i verify the parts are correctly formed, to see whether this is a t'bird or email in question problem?

thanks in advance.
r7
dcw5

Re: multipart email not showing all parts

Post by dcw5 »

If the html is an alternative to the text, then check the setting under View -> Message body as -> Original html
r7

Post by r7 »

dcw5 wrote:If the html is an alternative to the text, then check the setting under View -> Message body as -> Original html

thanks for this [which works]. however the problem is that i have no visual clue in the interface that this was originally an html mail. shouldn't the correct behaviour be: show the text part and indicate that i have an html part as an attachment? this is usually how i deal with html email.

so the original question remains: how do i work out whether the original is malformed or is t'bird not doing the right thing?

r7
dcw5

Post by dcw5 »

Well, I have it set to show original html. This shows html when there is a html part, otherwise shows plain text.

This is to do with the content type being multipart/alternative. The email client decides which alternative to show. Note that this is different to having an attachment, which would usually just be shown as an attachment icon.

I don't think that there is an issue with the original mail being malformed or thunderbird not doing the right thing, but I don't know of a way to have it set to show the message body as plain text and to have an indication that there is an html alternative.