Getting rid of colored quote bars...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PatM

Post by PatM »

I use Email Stripper a separate program that will do what you want.
Find it HERE

Highlight your email.
Copy it.
Paste it into email stripper
Strip it
Copy it
Paste into a new email
I'd rather be over the hill, than under it..
Brooks Moses

Post by Brooks Moses »

I want to add a small comment to this, to note that this works (with the lines only added to prefs.js, and user.js left nonexistent) for Thunderbird 1.0.4.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Brooks Moses wrote:I want to add a small comment to this, to note that this works (with the lines only added to prefs.js, and user.js left nonexistent) for Thunderbird 1.0.4.

Please do tell from what future you are coming. The latest release of Thunderbird is still version 1.0.2.
guest1

No > in quote

Post by guest1 »

Anonymous wrote:Those lines are in user.js, *and* prefs.js. I hit reply, and I get "so and so wrote:, but no indentation with the >.

mark

I see the same (in Thunderbird 1.02). Switching off the quote lines works but no > quotemarks appear when quoting: you just see the raw text.

My user.js is in

C:\Documents and Settings\myUserName\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\my8charString.default

It reads

user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", true);

(I have tried removing the middle line.)

My userContent.css is inside folder

chrome

inside the above. It reads

blockquote[type=cite] {
padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
padding-top: 0 ! important;
padding-left: 0 ! important;
border-left: none ! important;
border-right: none ! important;
}

Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks in advance

Niall
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Guys, I'd like the bars gone but still want the > character to be used instead of the bars. I have the above stuff working but it removes ALL quote characters. What pieces do I want to have it use the > character all the time?
bkmode

Post by bkmode »

Hello everyone, I've read this thread several times over and I'm sure you will quickly be able to tell that I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing and any help would be GREATLY appreciate. I would like to be able to reply to a message without the quote bars on the side AND without a > at the beginning of each line AND without the quoted text being indented. So far nothing I've tried changes anything at all. (I've got a print screen for what I'm talking about but I am unable to put it up here right now, I'll upload it when I get home.)

I made the file user.js and put it in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Brandee\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\mtf4w63v.default

and the file says this

I made the file userChrome.css and put it in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Brandee\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\mtf4w63v.default\chrome

and the file says this

blockquote[type=cite] {
}
Old women used to come up to me at weddings,
poking me in the ribs and saying, "You're next."
They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

???? Why would you repost the same post from earlier in the thread and just color it blue?
bkmode

Post by bkmode »

I use blue because I like it. It doesn't look like a duplicate post to me, I was just stating what I have done, that it didn't work and asked if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong.
Old women used to come up to me at weddings,
poking me in the ribs and saying, "You're next."
They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

bkmode wrote:Hello everyone, I've read this thread several times over and I'm sure you will quickly be able to tell that I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing and any help would be GREATLY appreciate. I would like to be able to reply to a message without the quote bars on the side AND without a > at the beginning of each line AND without the quoted text being indented. So far nothing I've tried changes anything at all. (I've got a print screen for what I'm talking about but I am unable to put it up here right now, I'll upload it when I get home.)

I made the file user.js and put it in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Brandee\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\mtf4w63v.default

and the file says this

I made the file userChrome.css and put it in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Brandee\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\mtf4w63v.default\chrome

and the file says this

blockquote[type=cite] {
}

Remove the middle line (user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);) in user.js. Also remove it from prefs.js. Restart Thunderbird and see if it helps.
Gord McFee
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Anowack, if you are still reading... can you (or anyone) confirm that this config works on V1.0 (or any later)? For me it doesn't :( Thanks.
Last edited by chrisjj on August 23rd, 2005, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

It was brought up earlier in the thread, but no response as to how it is possible was given. I'd like to eliminate the > before quotes. I do top posting, much to the chagrin of some people here, I realize. But that's just how I do it, and it's not my intention to change this in any way.

In any case, I'd simply like to remove the >, because after a few replies back and forth, the whole thing becomes a jumble, to the point that when I try to print out an email for my records, a couple messages back end up having four or five lines of text spread out over three pages. I tried printing an email that was the result of a number of back and forth emails, and it SHOULD have been about a 10-12 page print out -- it came back 32 pages!

I managed to eliminate the quote bars, which seems to have helped a bit... but getting rid of the brackets would make me the happiest camper you've ever seen.

Anyone? And please: no lectures on my preferred emailing tendencies.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Do you need to keep all those levels of quotes when replying? I delete most and just reply with what is still relevant.

Post by Guest »

Daifne wrote:Do you need to keep all those levels of quotes when replying? I delete most and just reply with what is still relevant.

Yes, I do. It's just for work reasons, I like to keep a full trail of conversations with clients to refer back to after we've concluded a conversation. Top posting works nicely for this, too, because the most relevant information is usual from the most recent post, so it's readily available at the top of the page.

I managed to eliminate the > after some fiddling around, but the formatting is all screwy. It looks like the farther past the replies are, the more jumbled up they get. Individual replies don't stay within the bracketing range they belong in; instead, i get strange carriage returns all over the place.

The following is an example (I left the brackets in):
Begin:
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>week..
>>>>>>
>>>>>>The people who work in the assessment services department have spent
>>>>>>some time discussing your request. We've also spoken with our
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>
>>Executive
>>
>>
>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>>>>>Director concerning this matter. I hope you can appreciate the care

we
End:

All of this text here should be part of the same email block of text, yet, as you can see, it prints out and reads completely unlegible.

Is this a thunderbird problem? Can it just not handle this? Or is there some setting I'm screwing up? It's pretty frustrating, because the information I have essentially becomes kinda useless after enough of this. I love everything else about thunderbird, but this is pretty crippling for what I need.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Is this a thunderbird problem?

Well, there are ">"ing clients that don't have it.

> Can it just not handle this? Or is there some setting I'm screwing up?

It is not just you. A coworker of mine gets the same mess-up.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I know that TB follows the Internet standards which is to quote like it was originally set. Blue lines are for html > are for plain text. Have you been able to get any other email client to do it the way you want?