MozillaZine


Getting rid of colored quote bars...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Nici
Guest
 

Post Posted January 19th, 2005, 5:16 pm

I was pointed here in order to find out how to remove the brackets when replying to email. I'm still confused admittedly. Outlook has a methord of simply removing them. I don't see how that's accomplished with TB. I don't like quote marks of *any* kind when I'm replying to emal because I primarily use it to co-write pieced with fellow writers. Brackets and funny lines only make the final editing less than easy before submission. Is there there simple way, when using 'text only' to make the quote marks and bars disappear when replying to email?

dtobias
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: November 9th, 2002, 3:35 pm
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Post Posted January 20th, 2005, 8:23 am

Nici wrote:I don't like quote marks of *any* kind when I'm replying to emal because I primarily use it to co-write pieced with fellow writers.


It sounds like what you're doing is collaboratively authoring a document by passing it back and forth, with all parties making changes in turn. Perhaps that is better done by an attachment (of a word-processor document or a plain-text one) rather than in the main body of a message. Quoting of messages on reply wasn't really designed for the sort of authoring situation you're using it for.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/

Nici
Guest
 

Post Posted January 20th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Okay, then in this case unfortunately I'm going to have to stick to Outlook--which has an option to turn quotes off entirely. However, please remember that there are quite a few folks who belong to Pbem's that utilize the 'quote off' option--as well as authors who don't like the cumbersome usage of attachments in order to work. An option that allows 'quotes off' might be something to consider in future.

Thanks for your time in any regard.

KRS
Guest
 

Post Posted January 29th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Nici wrote:I was pointed here in order to find out how to remove the brackets when replying to email. I'm still confused admittedly. Outlook has a methord of simply removing them. I don't see how that's accomplished with TB. I don't like quote marks of *any* kind when I'm replying to emal because I primarily use it to co-write pieced with fellow writers. Brackets and funny lines only make the final editing less than easy before submission. Is there there simple way, when using 'text only' to make the quote marks and bars disappear when replying to email?


Go to EDIT , FIND AND REPLACE , type in > , leave REPLACE WITH blank. Click on find , then click on Replace All

KRS
Guest
 

Post Posted January 29th, 2005, 4:05 pm

KRS wrote:
Nici wrote:I was pointed here in order to find out how to remove the brackets when replying to email. I'm still confused admittedly. Outlook has a methord of simply removing them. I don't see how that's accomplished with TB. I don't like quote marks of *any* kind when I'm replying to emal because I primarily use it to co-write pieced with fellow writers. Brackets and funny lines only make the final editing less than easy before submission. Is there there simple way, when using 'text only' to make the quote marks and bars disappear when replying to email?


Go to EDIT , FIND AND REPLACE , type in > , leave REPLACE WITH blank. Click on find , then click on Replace All


SORRY; should have said go to EDIT AS NEW and then Go to EDIT ......

Plukh
 
Posts: 14
Joined: January 29th, 2005, 5:27 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Post Posted January 29th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Still, does anyone know how to change the quotation character/string? I'd like to quote with ">"+<space> (like this "> "), not just with ">" - it is much easier on the eyes, IMHO, especially in longer discussions.
Regards,
Plukh aka Victor Denisov

CurtC
 
Posts: 212
Joined: November 27th, 2003, 8:19 am

Post Posted February 18th, 2005, 10:43 pm

A quick fix to take out the ">" marks would be to copy the whole message before you hit the reply button, then paste it into the reply. Like this:

Ctrl-A selects the whole original message
Ctrl-C copies that to the clipboard
Crtl-R to reply
Ctrl-A to select the whole quoted reply text
Ctrl-V to replace it with the clipboard contents.

Not too bad - hold down the Control key and hit five keys.

tenbob
 
Posts: 86
Joined: November 1st, 2004, 11:17 am

Post Posted February 28th, 2005, 9:22 am

Setting up these lines in the two or three .js files is simplel enough but where do they go in the Thunderbird (not Firefox) directory. I placed the user*.js file in 'Chrome' but where do they all go.

I want NO bars; don't mind the '>' but all the indenting is annoying.
Bob K.

tenbob
 
Posts: 86
Joined: November 1st, 2004, 11:17 am

Post Posted February 28th, 2005, 10:39 am

I have edited (or created) userContent.css and put it in 'Chrome'

as blockquote[type=cite] {
padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
padding-top: 0 ! important;
padding-left: 0 ! important;
border-left: none ! important;
border-right: none ! important;

==========================
I have edited (or created) user.js and put it in
thunderbird\defaults\profile as:

user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", true);
================================

I still get the bars when I reply

I must be doing something wrong but don't know what.
Bob K.

Marvin42
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 14th, 2003, 4:21 am

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 1:54 pm

tenbob: I have the same problem. Did the same thing as you and it didn't helped. Those coloured bars are driving me crazy.

oerx
 
Posts: 72
Joined: March 12th, 2005, 7:40 pm

Post Posted March 20th, 2005, 2:53 pm

Switch off "Compose messages in HTML" in Account-Settings / Composition and select "reply ABOVE the quote" there, that did the trick here.

Note: I have NOT edited any chrome nor user.js for this.

No bars, just >

GordMcFee
 
Posts: 13001
Joined: May 3rd, 2003, 4:18 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Posted March 21st, 2005, 9:32 am

tenbob wrote:I have edited (or created) userContent.css and put it in 'Chrome'

as blockquote[type=cite] {
padding-bottom: 0 ! important;
padding-top: 0 ! important;
padding-left: 0 ! important;
border-left: none ! important;
border-right: none ! important;

==========================
I have edited (or created) user.js and put it in
thunderbird\defaults\profile as:

user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", true);
================================

I still get the bars when I reply

I must be doing something wrong but don't know what.


It looks like you put it in the Thunderbird folder instead of in your profile folder.
Gord McFee

tenbob
 
Posts: 86
Joined: November 1st, 2004, 11:17 am

Post Posted March 21st, 2005, 2:16 pm

I searched and found TWO thunderbird folders with PROFILE. One as a subfolder of INTERNET and another in the PROGRAM FILES. I never install to PROGRAM FILES so I dont know how it got there but when I modified THAT user.js, the bars left.
Bob K.

GordMcFee
 
Posts: 13001
Joined: May 3rd, 2003, 4:18 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Posted March 22nd, 2005, 11:20 am

Glad you fixed it.
Gord McFee

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted May 12th, 2005, 6:00 pm

If you don't mind using another program try Email Stripper

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests