- Unable to open Thunderbird in safe mode. Reloaded T. into firewall settings. Unable to access my T. emails for 5 weeks. Entire computer was wiped clean and reloaded operating and security programs. Mozilla Firefox loaded and works fine.
User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Connection to server timed out.
What happens when you attempt to run Thunderbird in Safe Mode? (Thunderbird's not Windows' Safe Mode, right?)
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
SK: Used Thunderbird safe mode. Will not open. Same error: Connection to server mail.comcast.net timed out.
Daifne: Thunderbird 188.8.131.52. Windows XP. Error: Connection to server mail.comcast.net timed out. Unaware of extensions. IMAP mail. Web based service from cable company - Outlook Express connects fine. Panda 2008 firewall/security. Incoming server name: mail.comcast.net. Outgoing server name: SMTP.comcast.net. Port number 25 or 587. Changes: as stated, computer wiped clean and security and software installed 9-08. All other programs as well as Firefox work fine.
Comcast only offers POP3 access, not IMAP. Recreate the account as POP and remove the IMAP account.
Got it. Thanks. What is the difference between POP & IMAP?
POP got me on.
They are different email protocols and behave differently. Do a Google search on them to learn more.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests