User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
I can't received any email from my Thunderbird as it keeps showing "Connection to server 'server name' timed out" right after I launched my Thunderbird. I've checked that it is the correct server, correct port number, the server is not down and the firewall is off. All of these indications in knowledge base are correct as I have the same setting for my other thunderbird on another networked computer, and my other thunderbird is working fine.
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the full wording of the error message you are receiving? That is, what is the FULL server name?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Which antivirus and/or a firewall program are you using? How did you "shut off" the firewall?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name and port number for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
Thank you for your reply.
- Version 188.8.131.52
- Operation system: Windows XP
- Error message: "Connection to server pop.telus.net timed out"
- No extensions installed
- ISP service
- Norton Internet Security. I tried to turn off the personal firewall for 5 minutes.
- Never compact my folders. Will do it from now on.
- server: pop.telus.net Port: 110
- smpt.telus.net Port: 25
- I did not make any changes in my computer or software configuration.
I really appreciated your help.
It's not that easy to "turn off" Norton. See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls You may have to remove it from the startup programs list (use MSCONFIG through Start->Run->MSCONFIG) and reboot before again testing Thunderbird.
I've checked with Norton technician, the problem still exist even they remotely turn off my Norton. I have the same Norton and Thunderbird setting on the other network computer, and that one is working very well. However, the thunderbird on this computer keeps on popping up the error message whenever I launch Thunderbird. Please advise.
I've tried to increase the timeout value yesterday and it didn't work.
Probably not the solution, but you are sure you don't have any other firewalls activated like the Microsoft firewall?
I am having difficulty getting my email. The response that I get is, "The server for mail.msn.com has timed out".
I have this setup as an IMAP, and it is a msn.com account.
These connection problems have many different variables. Because of this, these topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks.
I am having the same "Connection to [mail server] timed out" issue....can anyone help?
Thanks Daifne. SOrry to be such an amateur, but how do I start a new topic?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests