Need to Install - But Add-Ons?!

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Eakamai

Need to Install - But Add-Ons?!

Post by Eakamai »

Apologize in advance if this has all been covered or if it should be in the Support section.
The various threads I've come across are difficult to fully comprehend.
The latest version I'm using now is 2.35 but those systems are all XP Pro SP3.

OS Win7 Pro 32bit:
I'm looking to install (in spite of not being able to sync other system's Sent folders and unable to implement IMAP yet).
Our ISP's webmail is the worst I've ever come across in over 3 decades of doing this. It's absolutely horrendous.
Tested 2.49.3 but had nightmares with add-ons.
I don't think the following is over the top compared to what I've seen others have:
ublock origin
umatrix
Greasemonkey
Image Zoom & NoSquint* (yup, eyes not what they used to be)
* Not sure if it's necessary with ctrl + & - ability. But always liked to manage control with NoSquint.
Self Destructing Cookies
Speed Dial (Josep del Rio) best one I've used yet
RefControl or something as good or better
Close tab with double click or something similar
User Agent Switcher or similar (but that's not as effective as it once was)
NoScript (not mandatory but always liked it and never had problems).

On almost every one of these it claims 'only for Firefox' and stopped me cold.
Tried various tricks to hide it was SM (manual UA etc.) but nothing worked.
DL'ing the *.xpi, drag & dropping failed as well. Even older versions!
Heck, I used to be able to edit the .rdf file and life was good. Is that not the case anymore? ](*,)
----------------------------------------------------------
With our Esteemed 'therube' appearing not to like AMO, I'm left at the mercy of those [much more adept at this newer version] **
who can help. ** Which is no doubt everyone else on these Amazing forums. :oops:

Until I can sort out whether or not I can install any add-ons, I'm not able to install the above referenced version.

As always I can't thank you enough for any help.
DanRaisch

Re: Need to Install - But Add-Ons?!

Post by DanRaisch »

The newest versions of some of those extensions are aimed at Firefox Quantum and won't work with any older versions of Firefox. Changing the UA will not fool extensions as it will a browser sniffing web site.

You might try this extension -- https://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/ Make sure that you are trying it with versions of the extensions that indicate they are compatible with Firefox 56 or earlier.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Before you search for any extensions with SeaMonkey install the AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension.
This extension makes browsing for extensions easier at addons.mozilla.org. It fixes incorrect information about some extensions being not available for SeaMonkey and adds links to the Add-on Converter where needed.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

While I'm broker than the Ten Commandments in the modern world, I do contribute anonymously what/when I can.
But if it were a hundred times that amount it could never reflect the appreciation I have for the incredible people on this forum.

I used to use The Bat & others eons ago and people are telling me to switch. But I have zero problems with SM mail client.
Started out with Mozilla and had zero problems that weren't easily solved. As referenced above, some don't like AMO,
but I just noticed It's installed in my 2.35 versions! So I guess I'll give that a try.

And thank you for the link Dan. SM & I go way back and It would be sad if we had to part.

In the meantime, I'll try to learn what's up with all the changes in the types of add-ons. :?
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Wow! Thanks therube!!!!!!!!!!
Eakamai

Add-ons 'Firefox for Android' ?!

Post by Eakamai »

DanRaisch wrote:You might try this extension -- https://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/ Make sure that you are trying it with versions of the extensions that indicate they are compatible with Firefox 56 or earlier.
Extremely interesting converter Dan. Sometimes I searched for add-on and it turns me to 'Firefox for Android...' extensions (like SelfDestructingCookies by Ove). It seemed to work perfectly, but did it really?!

What does AMO bring to the table that this converter doesn't, or does that depend upon the answer to my first question above?

Thanks again everyone for helping stick with SM! =D>
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

SelfDestructingCookies doesn't seem to be working correctly. Tried an earlier version (0.4.9) with same results:
Don't see icon, can't edit white list or show statistics. :(

Has this answered my own question above or did I do something wrong in the conversion?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Eakamai wrote:Speed Dial (Josep del Rio) best one I've used yet.
In practice, Speed Dial 'extensions' are incredibly easy just to write yourself, even using the miserable Composer in SM.

All they, effectively, is a HTML page with a table with 9 images and 9 links attached to those images. I made mine in about 10 minutes and it looks better (I styled the background, borders, etc.) than the proper extensions.

Works well.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

You're spot on Frank! I remember using notepad for stuff like this eons ago. Fortunately, that add-on works and importing was easier.

Not so lucky with self destructing cookies (I only noticed in Dan's link where it's incompatible - duhhhh)
Also Cookie AutoDelete doesn't fly (no 'install.rdf' file detected). Don't know anything that would be as good to those two.
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Almost there. Other than having something to 'auto crush cookies' I'm pretty well finished.
Had a mysterious crash happen on protonmail site but my vibes & suspicions tell me it was an add-on:
BarTabTycho https://github.com/InfernoZeus/BarTabTycho that we read about on this forum somewhere.
Will continue to monitor that.

Otherwise very much liking what I see so far! :)
As always, I can't thank you all enough!
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

therube wrote:uBlock: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... y-1.16.4.1
center-click will close a tab
Don't they do this for uMatrix also? (provide a legacy version).

If you find anything could you let me know?

Thank You Sir :)
frg

Post by frg »

For cookies I just disabled third party cookies and made them session only.

I put a link for the old viewer into the bookmarks bar:
chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul

Now and then when I have the browser open for a long time I just blow them all away.

I am still using NoScript 5.0.9 Good enough for me.
therube

Post by therube »

I know nothing of uMatrix.
This looks to be the last that mentions "firefox" (rather then webext), https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases/tag/1.1.4.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LewS

Post by LewS »

I have found "Cookies Exterminator" 2.9.4 helpful.
It works with Seamonkey without conversion.

The suggestion to install "AMO Browsing for Seamonkey"
is a good one.