Revert back to the original character encoding menu

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Smoppi

Revert back to the original character encoding menu

Post by Smoppi »

Once the character encoding menu used to look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdrVRsn5L8

The original character encoding menu was much more functional than the current one. It even had the possibility to add and remove encodings. Then it was replaced with the current menu by Mozilla developer Henri Sivonen in 2014. Since then Mozilla browsers have not been able to display many pages correctly. Especially viewing text files in the browser is problematic. I often browse pages and sites that are at least partially written in IBM850 encoding.

The original encoding menu was/is better in every way possible and I'm sure many users would benefit from it if Seamonkey switched back to the original menu.
DanRaisch

Re: Revert back to the original character encoding menu

Post by DanRaisch »

If seems extremely unlikely that the developers would spend anytime reverting a feature to something from 8 years ago, particularly as there doesn't seem to be a significant number of users requesting such a change.
Smoppi

Post by Smoppi »

DanRaisch wrote:If seems extremely unlikely that the developers would spend anytime reverting a feature to something from 8 years ago, particularly as there doesn't seem to be a significant number of users requesting such a change.
Then why was the encoding menu changed in the first place? No-one requested that either. The fact that the encoding menu even exists in the first place is one of the biggest reasons why I use Seamonkey. Firefox is constantly removing features that I need. Actually I believe that many users dislike these changes, but usually people don't want to criticise the changes because they would only get bullied away by some toxic people.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You might have to ask Henri Sivonen about the "Why?" But that was 8 years ago and he may not remember.