Download Sidebar

Discussion of features in Seamonkey

Should Mozilla have a download sidebar (see below)?

Yes
69%
No
14%
I don't know
17%

Total votes: 29

Jimmy_C

Download Sidebar

Post by Jimmy_C »

I haven't downloaded a recent mozilla build, so I don't know if this is already in it....

I think the download sidebar in Phoenix is <i>very cool</i> and a quite logical feature for the sidebar. Are there any plans for including it in Moz?

If not, are there any tutorials on hacking Moz or creating extensions and sidebars? I'd volunteer to write one (and figure out how to do it, too).

P.S. Funny, Relevent Quote related to the poll: "First Base!!!"
Linux user since Nov. 31, 2003!
ksheka

A better download manager...

Post by ksheka »

I think that a better download manager is much more important than deciding whether it should be in a seperate window or part of the sidebar. Right now, the download manager cannot pause&resume, cannot resume a download after a crash, cannot resume a download across multiple Mozilla sessions...
zipo13

Re: Download Sidebar

Post by zipo13 »

I must I don't know since I don't use Phoenix and I don't exactly know what is the download sidebar is...
Can you explain or post a link to a pic?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

It's a stripped down Download Manager in a sidebar:

the_village_treky

Post by the_village_treky »

i think their shuld be a better dlm, and have a dlm side bar(jest add a link to the dlm in the side bar.. im a ideot so i dont know how to go about doing that, but from what ive been told(by some fello ideots) it word be farly easy)
^----- raving lunitick
zipo13

Post by zipo13 »

laszlo wrote:It's a stripped down Download Manager in a sidebar:

I agree with the_village_treky - its a great idea and probably is good for mozilla too. But first the download manager needs some more features
Jimmy_C

How do download managers work exactly?

Post by Jimmy_C »

How do download managers like <i>FileHound</i> or the infamous <i>Gator</i> work? That is, how do they start, pause, throttle and resume downloads? Even if the internet connection is intermediately disconnected?
Linux user since Nov. 31, 2003!
david55475

Post by david55475 »

While we're at it, how about multiple-thread downloads, a la Download Accelerator, Download Express et al ?

Just my $0.02. :-)

Dave
Dave
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
zipo13

Re: How do download managers work exactly?

Post by zipo13 »

Jimmy_C wrote:How do download managers like <i>FileHound</i> or the infamous <i>Gator</i> work? That is, how do they start, pause, throttle and resume downloads? Even if the internet connection is intermediately disconnected?

Well what they do is use more "advanced" features of the web servers, which actually sum up to one feature - the ability to tell the webserver that u want a partial download. This means that if a file is 1MB in size, you can "tell" the webserver that u want only a part of this file - or in other words all the bytes after a certain position in the file. The download manager takes the responsibility of adding the new part of the file to the old one.
This feature lets you:
  • Stop a DL and then resume it from where you left.
  • Resume a download that was stopped because of internet disconnection - or crash
  • Accelerate downloads by downloading sevral parts of the same file at once - good for large files mostly. All the new download managers do that today (GetRight, FlashGet,CuteFTP...) Don't know about filefound but its probably the same as the others.

Hope that clears things up :idea:
velociraptor

Interesting

Post by velociraptor »

laszlo wrote:It's a stripped down Download Manager in a sidebar:

You can strip down download manager? :)
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

Whitout Resume the download manager is useless, no matter if is in actual form or in sidebar.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

I want the side bar, but with more information than just the progress.
Shark Daddy

Post by Shark Daddy »

I really like the sidebar for history, bookmarks, and downloads. There's no need for seperate dialogues with history and the manager; the only problem is that a sidebar might not yield enough screen real-estate to have all the stuff the dialogues have. In the case of bookmarks, the setup could use an overhaul (which I do not have the expertise to do or fully understand at all) that also parallels Phoenix, but goes beyond:

- get rid of the Bookmarks menu (yes, ignoring the foolish humans who will inevitably whine that Mozilla doesn't have any bookmarks anymore)
- maybe put a Bookmarks item in Tools with History and Downloads (still Ctrl + B), which should also both be in Tools (which would be supplemented by toolbar customization if it actually lands, wherein people could put in a bookmarks button if they wanted to)
- have bookmarks in the sidebar (maybe have mouseovers on folders open them and reveal their contents in place, instead of double-clicking as in how the current menu system works), and have a manage button that works with a normal manage hierarchy

It's really hard to explain, and what I'm saying isn't really doing it justice or making it sound at all good. Bleh.
The Chosen One has spoken (you may resume your disorder).
ksheka

Post by ksheka »

Shark Daddy wrote:[...]
- get rid of the Bookmarks menu (yes, ignoring the foolish humans who will inevitably whine that Mozilla doesn't have any bookmarks anymore)
- maybe put a Bookmarks item in Tools with History and Downloads (still Ctrl + B), which should also both be in Tools (which would be supplemented by toolbar customization if it actually lands, wherein people could put in a bookmarks button if they wanted to)
[...]

Getting rid of the Bookmarks menu breaks UI practices. Most browser users expect a top-level menu for bookmarks.
larfnarf

yep

Post by larfnarf »

um.. yeah.. I'll agree with that.

I have used pheonix a bit, and find it a bit anoying that I always HAD to rearange the page inorder for the sidebar to be displayed.

I almost exlusivly use the bookmarks menu from my personal toolbar, and every once and a while from the normal menu (between go and tools)

I also agree that before any focus on a sidebar for a download manager should be started, that a pause and resume should be implimented and enabled first.

lol, course I'm not a programmer, so I can't really complain can I?

*hugs*