When will the spellchecker be back?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey

How important is it to have the spellchecker in Mozilla?

Poll ended at November 11th, 2002, 8:42 am

Very Important
63%
Marginal
28%
Of no importace
9%

Total votes: 43

hstark

When will the spellchecker be back?

Post by hstark »

The spellchecker has not been in a build since Aug (?) It is important to many of us and in any case, sooner or later it will be enabled again. My question is how long do we, the interested end users have to wait :?:
velociraptor

There was a spellchecker? :)

Post by velociraptor »

Personally I don't care if there is a spellchecker - I do not care about my spelling 99% of the time.
When I do care I rather do it manually than by blindly relying on an automated one that will always
get something wrong - and never catch my grammer mistakes anyway.
(Apart from that I would need the checker to support 3 languages)
OTOH I have seen that this seems to be a key feature for many and to have it just available as
an extension (I believe there is a mozdev project for that) is probably not enough.
old jasonb

Off topic.

Post by old jasonb »

This is off topic. Please take it to the Mozilla Features forum.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Re: Off topic.

Post by Alex Bishop »

JBassford wrote:This is off topic. Please take it to the Mozilla Features forum.

Oh, I've been waiting to try out the 'Move Topic' function!
Alex
slippytoad

Post by slippytoad »

As far as I'm concerned, the spellchecker is useful but I'd be perftectly happy to have it as an extension.
redvine

Spellchecker as extension

Post by redvine »

I didn't mind the spellchecker being just an extension available at Mozdev, but the fact of the matter is it isn't available even as an extension anymore. Development has stopped on the mozdev spellchecker project as it is being rolled into Mozilla, but meanwhile something about 1.2 broke the ability to load the extension, and the rolled into Mozilla hasn't hapened yet, so no spellchecker, for anyone, even if they know how to find it on Mozdev and load it.

While we are talking spellchecker, I really want a spellchecker that doesn't just check my outgoing mail messages but also spellchecks form fields as I fill them in. And I want a spellchecker that highlights misspelled words as I type, rather than one that waits for me to click "send" and then steps through my spelling mistakes offering suggested changes.
Andre

I use Netscape 7.0's Spellchecker

Post by Andre »

...n/t...

Although I proof read, my english is a little rusty so a spell checker is really nice to correct myself, that's why I need it.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
GNU/Ben

Re: There was a spellchecker? :)

Post by GNU/Ben »

Velociraptor wrote:Personally I don't care if there is a spellchecker - I do not care about my spelling 99% of the time.
When I do care I rather do it manually than by blindly relying on an automated one that will always
get something wrong - and never catch my grammer mistakes anyway.

Thats why you don't blindly press the change button. And if you don't want to check your spelling, just don't click on the spellchecker button (when it gets added to mozilla)
ksheka

A needed feature...

Post by ksheka »

Hi.
I've been using Mozilla at home and at work since the M16 days. My brother has been using it since around 0.8, but I've been installing his versions and keeping it somewhat current.
Just last week he asked me to install a different mail program, such as outlook/outlook express or eudora mail. I asked him why, since he never had any problems with mozilla before this. His only complaint about mozilla was that there wasn't a spell checker.
I'm thinking of putting Netscape7 on his system, but I don't want to deal with all the junk that includes in the setup, and I won't be able to introduce him to new features of Mozilla as they become avaliable. :-(
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

Better than Netscape 7 you can install for him Moz 1.1 or the stable 1.0.1. Or you can try to install the spellchk.xpi from Netscape 7 in Moz 1.2, is possible to work.
hstark

Post by hstark »

To the best of my knowledge spellchk.xpi does not work in M1.2
TechiePundit

Post by TechiePundit »

FWIW, What I really want is the ability to spellcheck in a TEXTAREA field of an HTML form.
ccapeng

Spell check for input text

Post by ccapeng »

Whish List :
Use mouse right click on a text field or a textarea to bring up spell check function and only apply spell check in this text field or textarea.
Rashid Muhammad

Post by Rashid Muhammad »

TechiePundit wrote:FWIW, What I really want is the ability to spellcheck in a TEXTAREA field of an HTML form.

Aye aye sir!
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

iespell does that for IE on windows. When in windows I mostly use Mozilla, but when using IE the ability to spell check forms before I submit them is awesome.

A form spellchecker is a sorely needed addon which I would think most people would use over Mouse gestures or most of the other mozdev addons. Also the regular moz speallchecker really needs to be updated for 1.2 when it comes out.