Opera-like image handling would be great!

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
cwcowell

Opera-like image handling would be great!

Post by cwcowell »

I use Phoenix on my Linux box because my hardware is ancient and I need all the speed I can get. Phoenix seems faster than Opera to me, Opera's claims of being the fastest browser on the planet notwithstanding.

But I use Opera on my faster Windows box because of the fabulous, FABULOUS Opera function whereby hitting "g" toggles between display all images --> display cached images only and placeholders for other images --> display no images. This feature alone is enough to persuade me (as a dial-up user who wants to load images only on certain pages) to use Opera.

If Phoenix had this feature, I would delete all my copies of Opera.
johann_p

This is a mozilla forum

Post by johann_p »

to talk about phoenix, go to uhm the phoenix forum
This would be a nice option for mozilla too, though. Unfortunately Mozilla doesnt
even have NS4.x feature parity here: in 4.x you could disable all images and then
click on an empty image space to only view this image. Not possible in Mozilla, unfortunately.
cwcowell

Post by cwcowell »

Sorry for wasting bandwidth--I didn't realize that logging in to MozillaZine from the Phoenix forum sneakily switches you over to the Mozilla forum. Should have watched more carefully. :)
Goldzilla

Proxomitron can control image loading on a site or page basi

Post by Goldzilla »

If you're on Windows or there is a Windows system on your network, you can use the Proxomitron which has an option to kill image loading on pages or sites. You can kill images from particular domains as well. I've
gotten rid of virtually all of the ad images at Yahoo using the default filters along with a few private ones.

Proxomitron can also control about 50 other annoyances too.

If you're not running on Windows but have access to a Windows box on your network, you can run the Proxomitron on the Windows box and access the proxy from your non-Windows machine.
johann_p

I am running privoxy

Post by johann_p »

Privoxy is available on most platforms, handles http 1.1 and can do close to everything
you can imagine with regard to filtering, blocking and on the fly changing. It can be configured
via the browser and simply switched off/on via the browser. Everything the gets blocked
is
replaced by a link or page which you can use to load the original contents anyway.
Goldzilla

I'll take a look at Privoxy

Post by Goldzilla »

I've been pretty happy with Proxomitron but am always willing to give something else a try. Portability is nice
too in case we get marching orders to dump Windows.
Simon Kellett

Re: Proxomitron can control image loading on a site or page

Post by Simon Kellett »

Goldzilla wrote:You can kill images from particular domains as well.

The beauty of the Opera control is that you can surf with now images, then when you get to a page with images you would like to view you hit "g" to get them. i.e. no *hardcoded* domain blocking/allowing.

Regards, Simon