automatically check when web page changes

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
aerosmith

automatically check when web page changes

Post by aerosmith »

Hi,

I really like this feature that was present in Seamonkey 1.x.x. When you chose a bookmark property there used to be an option to change the the favicon for the bookmark whenever there is an update to the bookmark web page. I could also configure the frequency and time the check should be made. I used to use this a lot to check if a web page has changed. Does anyone know where it went in 2.1 release? Note that I am not looking for rss link notifier. It is just a web page notifier that I am looking for. Please do let me know if anyone knows how to do this in the current release. It is very useful to track the careers page for companies that post any new jobs or to track a price for any product that you are following. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
therube

Re: automatically check when web page changes

Post by therube »

I really don't know, but guessing that with the change from the stand-alone bookmarks.html to places.sqlite, it went bye bye.

Perhaps you could post a bug as an RFE (check first to see if already requested) or there could be an extension (even in FF?) to do what you're looking for.

(A somewhat related Bug 692411 - Bookmarks Notify schedule feature are lost.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

Yes, it seems to be a feature that was lost with the change to places.sqlite. I never used the feature because it didn't work very reliably. I'd like to see it come back if it could be made to work well. There was some discussion here a couple of years ago, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1499985.
But then again, I may be wrong.
aerosmith

Post by aerosmith »

Yes, it was in deed this feature. Actually it worked quite well (at least for icon status in the sidebar) if you had the default or the modern theme. It was not long ago I used this feature. Probably the last versions of 1.x were the last days of this feature. I miss this feature. I have already used up my 3 vote limits for some other bugs in the mozilla project :cry: .