Search Results on the Sidebar

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Sazze

Search Results on the Sidebar

Post by Sazze »

Sea Monkey was my preferred browser because it had the feature of sidebar with search results. Suddenly it is gone. I even installed the previous versions, but nevertheless I was not able to make it work again. Why would Sea Monkey eliminate the best feature? I do not care about multiple search engines (it does not work anyways). I would install any browser that has the feature of a sidebar that shows the search results. I could not find any yet. I do not have any reason why I should prefer Sea Monkey to any other browser now. Please let me know if anybody knows such a browser and of course if it is possible to make it work again in Sea Monkey. Thanks! Sazze.
sal magundi

Re: Search Results on the Sidebar

Post by sal magundi »

i have no use for the sidebar BUT philip chee, who posts here, has developed this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... r/?src=api
would it help?
Sazze

Post by Sazze »

No, unfortunately it did not help. Search results are still not shown on the sidebar. Thank you for trying to help, though.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I think they had to remove that feature when they moved to Open Search plugins like Firefox (and other) browsers use.

Ironically, someone built an extension to bring this feature into Firefox many moons ago....
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-firefox/

Maybe the author could be requested to port this back over to SeaMonkey?

Edit: Never mind. This extension just expands the features of the stock Firefox searchbar and does not put results into the Sidebar, sorry.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

This has been one of my MAJOR beefs with the newer versions, and the part I can't understand is the negative feedback I got here every time I brought it up.

Anyone who has ever tried Multi-engine advanced search with all of the results from the selected engines together in the sidebar - available to click back and forth from one to the other - must miss it badly.

It seems apparently very few ever took the time to discover this Gem when it existed.

That is SOOO to bad.

Especially with today's wide screens, we need to get rid of or skinny up menus and toolbars across the top, and place them on the side as much as possible.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Rob_S wrote:This has been one of my MAJOR beefs with the newer versions, and the part I can't understand is the negative feedback I got here every time I brought it up.

Anyone who has ever tried Multi-engine advanced search with all of the results from the selected engines together in the sidebar - available to click back and forth from one to the other - must miss it badly.

It seems apparently very few ever took the time to discover this Gem when it existed.

That is SOOO to bad.

Especially with today's wide screens, we need to get rid of or skinny up menus and toolbars across the top, and place them on the side as much as possible.

My understanding is that, as useful as it is, it requires code in the core that was ripped out because Firefox didn't make use of it. Without those hooks in Gecko, it's impossible to do search results in the sidebar.
So once again, we've lost a useful feature because Firefox doesn't want it. Hooray.